Water Softener Not Using Salt - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-25-2012, 07:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

water softener not using salt

Kenmore 625.348832.
I replace the damaged gasket and o "O" rings in the valve assembly a year or so ago. Seemed to be working better but I noticed after a while that salt level just was not going down. I actually think it is but soooo slow. Water does not feel real hard but it never gets the good slimey feel to it either. I noticed there is salt in the brine well which I assume is normal, in a slurey from. But there was also some pellets in there. I got the pellets out but there is still a lot of slurey in there. The main tank is pretty low. I was trying to get to the bottom to see if there is a bridge. There is not.

What should I look for amoungst the reservoirs and the parts? Is there particular things that should happen in the recharge process that I can watch for to see if if is working properly?

If worse comes to worse do I replace the whole unit or is it completely rebuildable. I assume its about 20 years old.

Advertisement

sofasurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:37 PM   #2
Water Treatment

Rewards Points: 534

If you started a cleaning cycle will the unit start and then finish the cycle on its own?
If there is a way of stepping through the digital control , is it seeing a water flow?

Advertisement

Akpsdvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:56 PM   #3

Yes it runs the whole cycle by itself.
>>If there is a way of stepping through the digital control >, is it seeing a water flow?
I don't know what that means.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:00 PM   #4
Water Treatment

Depending on the digital control but the manual should have the keys to push to get to that part of the control, or there might be a flashing igon when there is water running inside the house.
If it is only cleaning when you start one , then the meter turbin might be jammed up so that is not turning when there is water running.

send a pm for an email address to send a photo of your control to.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:18 PM   #5

PM sent.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:46 PM   #6
Water Treatment

Have you heard the system in a cleaning cycle on its own at 2am over the last few months?
Old 03-25-2012, 11:04 PM   #7

I'll run it tonight and see what I can hear.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:10 PM   #8
Water Treatment

If there is no bridge in the salt tank then it should be using salt.
If there is water going into the salt tank when you start the regen now .. then salt will be used.
If the meter is stuck, then it will not count down from say 1000 gallons to 0 and start a cleaning cycle at the regen time that you have set.

Then again there is one other thing that could have happened, if the control lost the hardness setting because of long power outage, it might be at 5comp hardness and you need it to be at 25grain comp hardness.. with a lower comp hardness the system will take longer between cleaning and thus lower salt usage.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:42 PM   #9

The first thing that happens when I start a cycle is that the water level in the salt tank should go up. How much should it go up? I do not notice a differance. Is it in inches or less than that? does it very depending in the salt level? The water inlet to the storage tank is in the bottom below the salt isn't it? I wonder if there is a way to see the water coming in?
Old 03-25-2012, 11:53 PM   #10
Water Treatment

There should be about a foot or so of water that comes into the salt tank at the start, you should be able to see water coming in at the bottom of the 3-4" black tube on the right hand side of the main tank.. that is where the line from the venturi goes to.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:21 AM   #11

It is not visibly obvious that water is entering the tank.
I disconnected the tube at the nozzle & venturi and blew through it. I could near bubbles in the tank. During fill I pulled the brine valve assembly out of the brine well. There was not water coming out. I tried operating the float (assuming it only has to move a fraction) and it did not allow water through. Maybe I should disconnect the tube at the nozzle and start a cycle and see if water comes out? Comment?

Question...Is there a way to stop the cycle midway through. Say I want to try the fill step but I do not want to do a whole cycle...just the fill step? Does unplugging it reset it?
Old 03-26-2012, 12:30 AM   #12

Sorry, I accidentally double posted. Mod can delete this is desired.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:05 AM   #13
Water Treatment

once it starts it will go through each of the steps for the times that each step has set for it, now you can after it has filled the salt tank set through the remaining sets back to the start but why would you wish to ?

Advertisement