Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-04-2011, 10:30 AM   #1

Share |

Water softener not cycling

New to these forums but not forums in general. I've done some searching but so far have not found really what I'm looking for. I believe our water softener is not cycling at all. I refilled the salt several weeks ago and there is no noticeable change in volume. Here's what I've tried so far:

1. Turned the knob to backwash, rinse, etc to make sure things were functioning. There is flow out the discharge tube, lots of noises, water flow, etc.

2. Poured some warm water into the brine tube (the tube in the salt take with the float) and I can see the warm water flowing into the salt.

That's about it really. I did try to do a manual regen by setting it there but nothing is happening. I gave it more than an hour and nothing. During this step I noticed the time indicator is not moving...essentially the clock is not working. Now I have to assume this was installed in the house when it was built (1996), we moved in 2003 and have only had one issue about 5 years ago. The discharge tube clogged with sediment and had to be replaced. I checked that first thing but there is definitely flow out that tube so I don't believe that's the issue.

I don't know the brand, it has a sticker from a local place on it. Checking around online I'm thinking it's got a Fleck valve but I'm not certain. I'm going to do some further investigation tonite. I can take pics and post them if that is helpful.

Bottom line is it's not cycling and we're starting to have some issues with laundry, stains, etc. I'm totally willing to replace the entire thing if needs be but I'm also willing to spend some $$, time, and labor doing some service myself. I'm plenty handy I just don't have much experience with water softeners.

Thanks much.

Jack Money

Elephant100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:59 AM   #2
Water Treatment

A photo of the unit in question?
Is the wall plug hot?
Timer motors are not all that spendy and can be changed out by most home owners, if that is the challenge.

Akpsdvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 02:04 PM   #3

I'll get a couple pics of it tonite but here is pretty much what my unit looks like. I'm sure it's rebranded but I have to believe it's a Fleck 5600, it's nearly identical.

I'll check the plug. I'm definitely thinking the clock motor is dead. The time of day indicator used to "work" but it definitely does not now.

Thanks again.

Jack Money
Attached Thumbnails
Water softener not cycling-fleck5600rebuild061-1.jpg  
Old 08-04-2011, 02:22 PM   #4
Water Treatment

That is the Fleck 5600 metered. The Fleck uses a 1/30 motor either 120 volt or 24v, there are some that use the 220 volt either in Canada or Europe. It is possible that the motor is warm but not turning the gear that moves the control through the cleaning cycle. Two screws and two wire nuts and the motor is changed out.
Akpsdvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:29 AM   #5

Yup, confirmed last nite this is exactly what I have.

I went ahead and ordered a new timer motor and valve rebuild kit. I'll give this a shot and see what happens. If needs be I will replace it but I'm hoping some TLC/maintenance will bring it back. I'll report on what I learn.

Thanks for the help.

Cheers.

Jack
Old 08-06-2011, 06:15 AM   #6

Jack

Softener heads need cleaning regularly (quarterly or semi annually). On the right a under a 2 stainless screw cap there is a screen filter and once that pulled and cleaned a orifice under it can be removed with a wide blade screwdriver. I think there is another orifice but more disassembly is needed to get to that one. A paper clip can clean the holes in those and be careful when replacing the screws as the holes are plastic and could strip or crack if over tightened. The salt brine valve that rides on a cam can be removed and cleaned and operation checked, apply a tiny amount grease to the cam rider and cam. Motor operation can be checked as most have a tiny window where you can see it running. The drain hoses need to be kept clean from dirt or mud or dobber nest. Keeping the head covered with a plastic bucket will protect the head and cover from ultraviolet damage. Also the salt storage tank need to be cleaned and checked. Some have a overflow valve that needs to be cleaned regularly.

Good luck

Larry

Idmason60 is offline   Reply With Quote