DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Water softener no longer softening water

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  grandmajo 
#1 ·
Good Morning,

We having problems with our water softener, and are completely stumped. We have a 48000 grain with Autotrol 255/460i. About a month ago, I noticed iron staining in the toilet, and went down to check the brine tank. It was out of salt, so I filled it, and hit the regen button. There was no change to the water. I hit the regen again and watched it cycle thru, it wasn't drawing brine from the tank. Cleaned the injector (it was due anyways) and the filter screen, still not drawing brine. Ordered a new injector and filter screen, and that allowed it to draw like it was supposed to, but the water was still not soft, and still producing iron stains. We replaced the resin beads, and still have the same problems. We are at a total loss. This unit is only about 4 years old, and was working perfectly, giving us crystal clear, iron free, soft water up until a month ago.

Any suggestions? It goes thru all the cycles like it is supposed to, but it never produces soft water.

#2 ·
dumb question but is there a 3 valve by-pass? If so make sure that your by-pass valve is not open. If that is closed make sure that there is not bad mushed up salt in the salt tank. If that is fine make sure that the unit is running on its own. In the timeer there is a idler gear that can become stripped out causing the softener to not regenerate or keep the correct time of day. If you have any questions let me know i am very very familair with softeners of all makes and models due to the fact i do this for a living. Fun Fun!!!

#3 ·
Also too just remembered if you replcaed the distributor tube in the resin bed amke sure that you cut it off 1/2 to 3/4" above the top of the tank cause if it is to short it will cause the water to never go through the mineral bed....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.