Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-05-2011, 11:17 PM   #1

Share |

Water softener with low pH

I have been spending a ton of money to fill my brine tanks every couple of weeks. I just had a "well guy" tell me that my pH was very low...5.5. He said that I am wasting my money, and the softener will not work at that low of a pH. Of course he was also trying to sell me a $2k neutralizer system as as well. Should I be wasting my time with the salt?

joemontana16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 08:56 AM   #2

A softener will remove hardness from low pH water--but low pH water seldom has much hardness and removing the minor amount typical in low pH water shouldn't take much salt if the softener is properly set up. What is the hardness of the water prior to treatment? What are the programming parameters for your softener?

I would be concerned about, and recommend treating, water with a pH of 5.5 because it will erode copper pipes and etch toilet bowls.

Bob999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:16 AM   #3
Civil Engineer

My well water is approximately pH 5. I have lived in our house for over 20 years. The low pH water certainly eroded the copper pipe, all of it has been replaced with PEX. However, it has had absolutely no effect on our toilet bowls, a few of which date back to original construction of the house (1959). Acidic well water is very common in our town, and I have never heard of etching of porcelain from mildly acidic (down to pH 4.5) water.

As for hardness, that is a measure of dissolved calcium in your water. As I understand the chemistry of calcium dissolution in water, it is possible to have acidic or basic water with high levels of dissolved calcium. I suggest you take a sample of your water to a recognized chemical laboratory and have it tested for pH, hardness, dissolved ions, heavy metals, and pesticides. On the basis of the test you can determine what treatment, if any, you need, rather than relying on a "well guy", whatever that is, to tell you what treatment you need.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 05:19 AM   #4

Well using high level of pH in softeners may turn water saline.. pH of 4-5 is enough...
james123 is offline   Reply With Quote