Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-17-2009, 08:37 AM   #1

Share |

Water softener & Iron filter drain

I have a larger softener and iron filter (two seperate units) in my basement that both backwash via 1/2" flexible tubing into a drain pipe that is mounted and exits the foundation just below grade (about six feet up on the wall). From there it runs in a fairly shallow under ground pvc pipe down hill and then empties into a ravine. During the backwash cycle, the drain water exits the tanks under pressure, and I'm having trouble with water back-splashing where the tubing enters the drain pipe. On one occasion, the drain clogged with ice outside and backed up into the house. Last night the tubing broke loose and emptied a lot of water into the house.

I'm wondering if I can just hard pipe this whole thing from the filter control heads to the drain pipe. With both filters wyed together, will the water pressure from one damage the solenoid valve of the other (one closed, one open)? With no way for air to enter except at the drain exit outside, are there any forseeable drainage problems?

DSKUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:31 AM   #2

It can be done, but I would suggest a check valve on each systems lines before the wye. You don't want one system backing up into the other in case of a blockage in the main drain line.Not sure howyou can protect from the freezing drain line except for heat tape though. If the outside line freezes, and both systems discharge, something needs to give.

Old 02-17-2009, 10:07 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply. The check valves aren't a bad idea. I was thinking it just comes down to what kind of valves the filter heads use for the backflush (can they handle back pressure or not).

As far as your comment, "something has to give"... is this really true if the pressure for the backwash is actually provided by the well water pressure tank? In other words, the filter pumps aren't pumping. They're just letting water pass through the filter backwards under normal 50-60 psi. If there is a blockage in the drain, wouldn't the water just cease to move through the system? I was thinking this might actually help prevent drain blockage, because the water would exit the house under pressure rather than using gravity.
DSKUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:14 AM   #4

The problem I see is the whole drain line filling up and then freezing. Any time pumps are used for liquid discharge, there is the possibility of back-flushing the discharge water back into your systems. Pretty soon, everything will have discharge water in it. Freezing of the drain usually occurs in-between discharges.