Water Softener Install - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-08-2013, 08:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Water softener install

Is a water softener replacement a reasonable DIY project for an amateur?

I normally stay away from major plumbing because there's too big an opportunity for major disaster. However, my neighbor just let me know that this morning he saw "water spraying out of the top of the water softener in a way that didn't look normal", and the thing hasn't been working lately anyway. It's so old I can't even get a manual for it.

Unfortunately a water heater replacement last month wiped out my cash reserves, so if I can install a $600 unit myself instead of paying the plumber lots more $$$ it would make a big difference.

From the looks of it it's just an inlet and outlet line, and a drain pipe and electrical. Everything is already there for the old unit and the feed lines are flexibe, so it should mostly just be two threaded joints, right? See the picture below of the existing unit.

Also, anyone have recommendations on makes/models? This is a fairly big house, but there are only two of us living here so our water needs are modest. However the water here in Pasadena is pretty hard; my cheapo meter reads ~350 TDS, and it shows on our dishes rapidly.

Many thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Water softener install-img_1394.jpg  

Advertisement

IdahoEv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:17 PM   #2
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,616

Water softener install

As i was reading- I was trying to figure out how your neighbor could see water spraying inside your house Then I saw the picture and realized the softener is outside and you life in a warm climate
You pretty well described the process of installing a new one . You might encounter a hiccup here or there though - nothing too tough.
Several members here have softeners(I don't) so I'll let them make recommend units.

Advertisement