Water Softener Hookup? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-24-2016, 11:00 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Water Softener hookup?

I am replacing this old broken unit with an identical model, same hookups. What do I need to do before I connect the unit to the pipes coming out of the wall? Their doesnt appear to be any water flowing though the pipes.

Thanks for any help in advance!

Advertisement

wesbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 08:33 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 12,312

Re: Water Softener hookup?

Going to have to go on the other side of the wall and see how the lines where ran.
There may be a bypass so the softener could be removed or serviced and still have water to the rest of the house.

Advertisement

Old 04-24-2016, 09:31 PM   #3
Usually Confused

It hard to tell from the first pic but it looks like the red-handled valve on top of the water heater might be closed and may be serving as a bypass. The flow control is set to bypass which have something to do with it. You might want un-kink that flush line while you're in there.

Or that critter is guarding the water!

From the Great White North, it never ceases to amaze me to see equipment like this this outside or other 'unheated spaces'.
lenaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lenaitch For This Useful Post:
joecaption (04-25-2016)
Old 04-25-2016, 01:28 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenaitch View Post
It hard to tell from the first pic but it looks like the red-handled valve on top of the water heater might be closed and may be serving as a bypass. The flow control is set to bypass which have something to do with it. You might want un-kink that flush line while you're in there.

Or that critter is guarding the water!

From the Great White North, it never ceases to amaze me to see equipment like this this outside or other 'unheated spaces'.
So after I hookup the new water softener i should open that red valve?
wesbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 08:57 PM   #5
Usually Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesbob View Post
So after I hookup the new water softener i should open that red valve?
It's hard to say for certain because the photos are not detailed. If the house has been occupied, I'll assume the plumbing system works. Either (a) that valve or some other plumbing circuit directs the water supply to not flow through the softener or (b) the fact that the softener is on bypass allows the water to flow in then back out of the flow control body (the black thing) without going through the softener. I don't know that much about softeners - maybe a real plumber here or the Internet can help. In pic #3 it looks like you have removed the rest of the softener - turn the knob from bypass to service and see if water comes out of where the softener used to be. The worst that can happen is you get wet.

Once you do get the new unit installed, make sure any cover or whatever it comes with for outside use is well installed. The motor on the old unit looks badly rusted.

Curious - in the land of outdoor electrical plumbing things, are you required to have ground fault protection on their power?
Old 04-26-2016, 10:10 AM   #6
Usually Confused

After re-thinking the logic of my previous post, I'm pretty sure it has to be (b). The 'bypass' setting must allow water to flow into then back out of the flow control without going through the softener - otherwise it wouldn't be 'bypass', it would be 'off'. Although, as always, I stand to be corrected by others more knowledgeable.

Advertisement