Water Softener Help - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-01-2010, 03:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Water Softener Help

My step-father and I recently replaced my Water Heater which had been leaking due to corrosion of it's 15 year existence =) The Water Heater itself has worked well over the past two weeks since the install, but my water softner is no longer functioning (it may have stopped prior to the water heater install, but I am not sure).

The unit is an old blue-colored softener and I believe it is made by Fleck as the timers shown here match the one on the tank:
http://www.softnerparts.com/category/1100.fleck/

The end-result that is visible is that the Timer is not functioning/turning/keeping time. I am able to "Turn" the dial and the unit engages once in "Rinse" mode. It does not seem to do anything though if I turn it only to "Regen" mode. What I am really unsure of and need some feedback on is if the timer can stop working due to other issues besides the timer going bad. If there is a plug will the timer stop? What else would cause the timer to "stop" functioning or does it always "function" unless it has gone bad?

Any advice on where/what to check would be greatly appreciated as I cannot afford a new water softener at this point. Some directions and ideas to try would be greatly appreciated to see if anything can fix the problem and have the timer begin functioning again. If the only choice is to replace the timer/softener, then that "must" would be appreciate even if saddening ;-)

-Ryan

Advertisement

slivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 04:14 PM   #2
Licensed Master Plumber

Rewards Points: 250

Water Softener Help

Make sure you have power to the unit and that all the wires are in place. If the timer does not work neither will the softener. Timers do go bad but they can be replaced

Advertisement

Old 08-01-2010, 05:01 PM   #3
Water Treatment

Rewards Points: 534

Water Softener Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by slivers View Post
My step-father and I recently replaced my Water Heater which had been leaking due to corrosion of it's 15 year existence =) The Water Heater itself has worked well over the past two weeks since the install, but my water softner is no longer functioning (it may have stopped prior to the water heater install, but I am not sure).

The unit is an old blue-colored softener and I believe it is made by Fleck as the timers shown here match the one on the tank:
http://www.softnerparts.com/category/1100.fleck/

The end-result that is visible is that the Timer is not functioning/turning/keeping time. I am able to "Turn" the dial and the unit engages once in "Rinse" mode. It does not seem to do anything though if I turn it only to "Regen" mode. What I am really unsure of and need some feedback on is if the timer can stop working due to other issues besides the timer going bad. If there is a plug will the timer stop? What else would cause the timer to "stop" functioning or does it always "function" unless it has gone bad?

Any advice on where/what to check would be greatly appreciated as I cannot afford a new water softener at this point. Some directions and ideas to try would be greatly appreciated to see if anything can fix the problem and have the timer begin functioning again. If the only choice is to replace the timer/softener, then that "must" would be appreciate even if saddening ;-)

-Ryan
If your unit is like what is in the photo then there is only one motor, it does both the time clock and run it through a cleaning or reg cycle when needed.
The motor could still be warm or hot and not turning the gear that turns the rest of the gears or the motor could be cold.. either way if the clock is not turning or if you start it into a reg and it does not continue on its own then the motor needs to be replaced. Simple get another motor undo 2 screws and 2 wire nuts ... and you are good to go.
Akpsdvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 05:28 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Water Softener Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akpsdvan View Post
The motor could still be warm or hot and not turning the gear that turns the rest of the gears or the motor could be cold.. either way if the clock is not turning or if you start it into a reg and it does not continue on its own then the motor needs to be replaced. Simple get another motor undo 2 screws and 2 wire nuts ... and you are good to go.
That's what I needed to know; thank you so very very much! Are the motors universally available at a home improvement/parts store or is it likely a special order product?
slivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 07:36 PM   #5
Water Treatment

Rewards Points: 534

Water Softener Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by slivers View Post
That's what I needed to know; thank you so very very much! Are the motors universally available at a home improvement/parts store or is it likely a special order product?
Home improvement stores most likely will NOT have the motor that you are looking for, there is a site on the web that has parts for your unit, timer motor for about 35.00..... look up softenerparts.com , then fleck parts and then your 5600...
Akpsdvan is offline   Reply With Quote