Water Softener Entry Point? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-06-2007, 09:50 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 282

Water softener entry point?

My house is ten years old, basement not finished, never had a water softener. Beyond choosing a brand/type/model of softener, where do people typically attach to their water lines? Do I need to run new lines from the softener to the specific places I want soft water?

Advertisement

tigerbalm2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 10:13 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Typically you will want the water softener installed right into your water main somewhere convenient before the water heater. This way, all the water coming into your home through the main line will be "softened". Your cold water line branches off of your main line at some point and feeds all your fixtures. Your hot line comes off of your water heater and feeds all of your fixtures. So, by having the softener in your water main before the water heater will soften all your water at every fixture, no need to run any new lines to individual fixtures.....all the water at every fixture will be treated as soon as it comes into your home via the main line. Just make sure the location is convenient to get to since you will need to add salt or service the softener regularly. Also, if you plan any future renovations to the basement space, it will be easy to close in the area around the softener is you plan ahead and locate it in a good spot.

Advertisement

DIY4EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 10:30 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 282

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIY4EVER View Post
Typically you will want the water softener installed right into your water main somewhere convenient before the water heater. This way, all the water coming into your home through the main line will be "softened". Your cold water line branches off of your main line at some point and feeds all your fixtures. Your hot line comes off of your water heater and feeds all of your fixtures. So, by having the softener in your water main before the water heater will soften all your water at every fixture, no need to run any new lines to individual fixtures.....all the water at every fixture will be treated as soon as it comes into your home via the main line. Just make sure the location is convenient to get to since you will need to add salt or service the softener regularly. Also, if you plan any future renovations to the basement space, it will be easy to close in the area around the softener is you plan ahead and locate it in a good spot.
Thanks for the reply. Builders of the house were first timers I think(first noticed they cheaped on EVERYTHING!). Water main comes up out of floor in opposite corner of basement from the water heater. I understand thats not a problem but the problem lies in the fact that the main splits as soon as it comes into the basement, plus, the water main comes out of the concrete in what was blueprinted to be a bedroom.

"hey timmy, while you are cleaning out the clothes from your bedroom closet, can you please add salt to the softener!"
tigerbalm2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 02:54 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

I am assuming that when the water main splits one line goes to the water heater and the other is the cold water line feeding the house?? You can cut the main just before the "split" and install the softener, then just run a new line from the softener back to tie into the cold line and then hook the line back up to feed the water heater. If you have copper pipes you make sure your soldering techniques are good. May not be a bad idea to get it prfessionaly installed....
DIY4EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 04:50 PM   #5

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,136

If you are not careful about the softener location, you could end up softening all the water from your hose bibs that you use for the lawn.
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote