Water Softener Dumped Gold Pellets... - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-19-2011, 09:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Water Softener dumped gold pellets...

What a nightmare. we were not using our water softener for years but did not have the bypass on. When we lost pressure and saw tons of small gelatenous gold pellets in the cistern, we called a city water guy who said it was the lining of the WS that had broken loose and gotten in the pipes.

Most of the cold water taps and appliances seem to be ok (I'm replacing or cleaning a few stems/valves). The hot water on every outlet has lost a lot of pressure. My great fear is that the hot water heater has become clogged with these pellets.

How do you get rid of them? If there is a way to flush the HW heater more effectively than just putting a hose to the bottom and letting teh water drain out (which I did to no improvement at all), please provide detailed instructions as I am fairly green at all this...

Advertisement

Last edited by Dayton123; 01-19-2011 at 10:00 PM. Reason: further explanation
Dayton123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:20 AM   #2
Long-Time DIYer

Rewards Points: 500

Those pellets are not from the "wall" of the water softener, but are the media from the softener regeneration tank. What has happened to you, happened to me with my old water softener in 2007. Yes, it is a nightmare to deal with.
I had to dismantle and flush the media out of every shut-off valve, faucet and water connection in the house, including water heater, refrigerator, washing machine, sinks, tub/showers, etc.
I now have a "new" 2007 $2,200 water conditioning system that includes an extra filter just off of the media tank and bypass valves to trap the media before it can get out into my home supply lines if that ever occurs again.
Water Heater:
Turn off the power or gas to the water heater. Attach a hose to the drain at the bottom and allow the cold water supply water pressure to flush the tank for as long as it takes. Try to keep most of the media out of your drain system. Run the hose outside or into a 5-gallon bucket and dump it outside as it fills up.
If you're not experienced at plumbing, you are probably going to need help. Although I systematically cleaned all of mine out myself, I would call a water softener company rather than a general plumber. They are far more likely to have dealt with your situation more than a few times.
Good Luck!
Mike

Advertisement

Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:28 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I called RotoRooter thinking the pipes were clogged and they were "experts". They replaced the cistern components, cut through a couple of pipes, broke a faucet stem and solved absolutely nothing to the tune of $544. And then...they asked if they could come back tomorrow to work on it some more. I politely said "no"

I think this is going to be a long tedious process of cleaning out piece by piece
Dayton123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clog , pellets , softener