Water Softener Being Bypassed - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-21-2011, 12:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Water Softener being bypassed

My water softener is being bypassed. The valve is not in the bypass position, but the water level hasn't changed in a week, and I noticed the hardness of the water throughout the house has increased. I know we have a significant amount of iron in our water. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement

MikeLV2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:27 PM   #2
Water Treatment

Rewards Points: 534

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeLV2010 View Post
My water softener is being bypassed. The valve is not in the bypass position, but the water level hasn't changed in a week, and I noticed the hardness of the water throughout the house has increased. I know we have a significant amount of iron in our water. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
The softener is in bypass, but the valve is not in bypass position?

What water level has not changed in a week?

Advertisement

Akpsdvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:44 PM   #3

I think it's in bypass because my plumbing is working fine, no change in water pressure or anything, but the water level in the water softener tank hasn't moved. It's stagnant.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:49 PM   #4
Water Treatment

Quote:
I think it's in bypass because my plumbing is working fine, no change in water pressure or anything, but the water level in the water softener tank hasn't moved. It's stagnant.
If there is a meter on the unit that counts down to regen the unit, then if the system is in bypass then it will not clean or regen and any water in the brine tank or salt tank will not move out.
Now if it is a sears , ge , polar star unit and there is water in the tank where the salt is at , then you have a challenge with either the venturie or one of the seals in the valve body.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:58 PM   #5

It is a GE. What valve are you referring too? How is the bad venturie or seal causing it to bypass the tank?
Old 11-21-2011, 01:05 PM   #6

my apologies. It is a Kenmore. So should I be checking the meter then? For some reason it's not regenerating?
Old 11-21-2011, 01:27 PM   #7
Water Treatment

On the display there most likely would be some showing of the water flow by a flashing icon.
That is if the bypass is open in that the water is going through the softener.
Do you have the manual for the system?
Old 11-21-2011, 01:33 PM   #8

yes, the display shows water flowing, but nothing is going through the softener. I'm not sure if I have the manual. I'll have to check this evening when I get home.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:59 PM   #9
Water Treatment

If the icon is flashing then there is water going through the softener.
The only way that the icon will flash is because water is going through the system and then through the turbin on the out line.

Now if there is water in the salt tank then the injector or venturie is plugged and it can not pull the brine or salt water out of the tank.. by not pulling the brine out it can not recharge the media for the next round of say 1000 gallons or what ever gallon count the unit has for the hardness setting that you have for the size of the unit.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:07 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 334

first things first, is there salt in the tank? there will always be a small amount of water/brine solution at the bottom of the tank but you wouldn't normally see this if you have enough salt. the flow meter is indicating flow, so water is flowing through the softener but obviously it is either not recharging properly or trying to recharge just fine but since there is no salt in the tank it is doing nothing.
NitroNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 02:18 PM   #11

There is salt in the tank, but very little. The level is near the bottom and the water level is just above that. The water is at about a "3" on the level indicator. The salt probably at about a "2". Neither level has moved in about a week or so. So if water is running through, but it's not recharging, am I looking for a plugged line or valve somewhere?
Old 11-21-2011, 02:23 PM   #12
Water Treatment

Quote:
There is salt in the tank, but very little. The level is near the bottom and the water level is just above that. The water is at about a "3" on the level indicator. The salt probably at about a "2". Neither level has moved in about a week or so. So if water is running through, but it's not recharging, am I looking for a plugged line or valve somewhere?
If water is passing through the system and the meter is working by flashing icon , the unit is most likely going through a regen cycle at the 2am point when the gallons have been used.
Now if the salt level has not changed and there is that much water in the salt tank then yes most likely the problem lies with the ventrie plugged.
It can not get the suction going to pull the brine water out of the tank to run through the media to recharge the media.
As it has been stated, sears type units have very little water in the salt tank between regen cycles.
Old 11-21-2011, 03:40 PM   #13

okay, than I am going to find manual, locate ventrie, and see if I can figure this out. Thanks for the input! Much obliged.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:07 PM   #14
Water Treatment

Let us know if there is any thing else that we can help on.

Advertisement