Water Softener Advice - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-11-2011, 12:50 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Water softener advice

Hi

I've been doing some research and wonder if there are any experts

I see from a couple threads in plumbingzone that salt-free systems are scams

Can anyone comment on this site?

http://www.topwatersoftenerreviews.com/

Can anyone recommend a softner + drinking filter system?

Thanks
Ricardo

Advertisement

Ricardok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 09:34 AM   #2

Water softener advice

H20 soft harmony. Great system. Easy to install. Holds 200 pounds of salt so you don't have to add salt as often

Advertisement

Service plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 09:47 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

Water softener advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardok View Post
Hi

I've been doing some research and wonder if there are any experts

I see from a couple threads in plumbingzone that salt-free systems are scams

Can anyone comment on this site?

http://www.topwatersoftenerreviews.com/

Can anyone recommend a softner + drinking filter system?

Thanks
Ricardo
What is your water analysis? What water problems are you seeking to solve with a filter system? Are you on well or municipal water? How many people in the household? Do you have any large tubs or multi head showers or other high usage fixtures?

All of the above questions are relevant to selecting a softener and water filter system and without that information you, or any other poster, will not get informed opinions tailored to the specific situation.
Bob999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:06 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

Water softener advice

For hard well water, water softeners are the ONLY cost effective way to treat the water. Charcoal filters, RO units cannot do this by themselves and can actually be ruined (clogged up) by running hard well water through them. Water filter scams abound such as using magnets to remove iron. All false - every one false. Or at best, they may remove a small portion of the dissolved impurities for a short period of time. Whoever can invent something to take the place of a water softener would be an instant multimillionaire.
Hates my roof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 05:22 PM   #5

Water softener advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob999 View Post
What is your water analysis? What water problems are you seeking to solve with a filter system? Are you on well or municipal water? How many people in the household? Do you have any large tubs or multi head showers or other high usage fixtures?

All of the above questions are relevant to selecting a softener and water filter system and without that information you, or any other poster, will not get informed opinions tailored to the specific situation.
Hi,

I dont have actual test results for the water. I'm trying to solve problems with soap scum but most of all my wife has eczema and the hard water really makes her skin even worse. When we go to places where the water is soft the difference on the skin is significant

We have 2 full baths, one regular sized tub

Another concern is the effect of salt on plants. What happens to lawn, trees, etc? Dont i need another filter for that?

I would have to add another filter for drinking water

Thanks
Ricardo
Ricardok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 05:30 PM   #6
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors
Rewards Points: 2,010

Water softener advice

Id suggest a whole house filter where water service enters the house ,then see if the water improves before going water softener route.
plummen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 05:42 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 250

Water softener advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardok View Post
Another concern is the effect of salt on plants. What happens to lawn, trees, etc? Dont i need another filter for that?
When a softener is installed the water supply for outside hydrants and for irrigations systems should be BEFORE the softener--softened water should NOT be used for watering plants or other irrigations purposes.

But many people chose to have one outside faucet with softened water for car washing and similar purposes.
Bob999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 06:24 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,562

Water softener advice

I would recommend to have your water tested by certified company before anything...then see what is needed to improve water quality,,,,
ben's plumbing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 12:59 PM   #9
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,018

Water softener advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's plumbing View Post
I would recommend to have your water tested by certified company before anything...then see what is needed to improve water quality,,,,
We're also considering a new system. What do you mean by "certified company"? In other words do you have any suggestions on finding a company that will give you honest advise rather than trying to sell you their product?
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 04:24 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 334

Water softener advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob999 View Post
When a softener is installed the water supply for outside hydrants and for irrigations systems should be BEFORE the softener--softened water should NOT be used for watering plants or other irrigations purposes.

But many people chose to have one outside faucet with softened water for car washing and similar purposes.
for an irrigation system, yes, but if you use potassium instead of sodium in your softener, the outdoor faucets will be fine. potassium in the water is actually benefitial to plants, grass, trees, etc.

Advertisement

NitroNate is offline   Reply With Quote