Water Softener - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-05-2012, 02:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Water Softener

I just posted a week ago about my water softener not using salt. Thanks to the help of you it now is working again! Today I went in the garage and noticed that I have water on the ground which appears to be coming from the white plastic valve on the brine tank? Is it possible that it's working too well? Should I adjust some setting?

Thanks! Crystal
Attached Thumbnails
Water Softener-overflow.jpg   Water Softener-salt.jpg  
Attached Images

Advertisement

Last edited by crystal4293; 03-05-2012 at 02:46 PM.
crystal4293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:30 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 636

Water Softener

A picture would sure be helpful.
I've never seen a valve on a brine tank.
Sure it's not an overflow line?
How full of water is the tank?

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
crystal4293 (03-05-2012)
Old 03-05-2012, 02:47 PM   #3

Water Softener

I added pictures. And yes, I'm thinking it's an overflow. It's just never leaked before.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:45 PM   #4

Water Softener

The white fitting that I believe you are speaking of is the overflow. That is what appears to be happening, giving you the salty grime on the floor. The softener obviously is putting water into the brine tank, my guess is for one reason or another you are not pulling the water out during the regeneration.
If the softener had already worked for a period of time the settings would not be the problem. Try putting the softener through a manual regeneration. There will be a cycle when the water going to the drain will slow way down, this is the brine draw cycle. Look and see if the water is going down in the brine tank. It will do this very slowly and may take a few minutes. You can also disconnect the line from elbow in the brine tank and put your thumb over it and see if there is any suction. If there is suction, then it is working. If there is suction and you are still unable to draw the brine out of the tank, you have an air leak somewhere in the brine line. It will draw air before it can draw brine, make sure the connections are snug and air tight. Try those things and see what happens.
guisertj81 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to guisertj81 For This Useful Post:
crystal4293 (03-05-2012)
Old 03-05-2012, 04:06 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

Water Softener

There are at least two problems. The float assembly/valve in the salt tank is supposed to shut off the flow of water into the salt tank before the level reaches the over flow. Obviously that isn't happening. The problem could be as simple as the float level being set wrong or it could be that the float is set properly but the valve isn't shutting off.

But the float/valve are a safety measure and if the softener control head is working properly the safety feature never comes into play.

Because you say your softener is now working properly that indicates that the control head is drawing brine from the tank during regeneration. So that suggests the problem is internal to the control head--water is being directed into the brine tank when it should not be. This might be resolved by cleaning but more likely will require replacement of one or more parts.

What is the make/model of your control head. Post a picture if you can.
Bob999 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob999 For This Useful Post:
crystal4293 (03-05-2012)
Old 03-05-2012, 05:40 PM   #6

Water Softener

I was told it was an Erie valve and will post pictures now. Thanks for your help. When we purchased the house 1 year ago, the softener appeared to be working because I had to put salt in it. That stopped about 5 months ago. The salt never went down. I purchased a hard water strip test kit and it said the water was in the ideal range. This obviously means that it's not working - I would assume it would register closer to soft than that. I was told that it probably had built up a crust and we put a long stick in and broke it up. Now I'm able to see water with the salt and my dishes look better. And then I noticed the water on the ground...I don't know if I need to reset the whole display panel? Maybe it's doing something too much? I honestly have no idea. Ok, taking pics now and will have up in a minute.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:43 PM   #7

Water Softener

Here are the pics
Attached Images

Old 03-05-2012, 05:58 PM   #8

Water Softener

I did the manual regeneration and so far haven't seen any water going down. I pulled off the hose that goes to the main tank and did not feel any suction. Should there be suction the entire time it's regenerating?
Old 03-05-2012, 05:59 PM   #9
Water Treatment

Rewards Points: 534

Water Softener

Sounds like the injector assembly could be plugged and not letting the unit draw the brine out of the salt tank.
The challenge with the Erie is that the manuals are a bit hard to find on line.
I will look around my collection of manuals to see if I have one.
Akpsdvan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Akpsdvan For This Useful Post:
crystal4293 (03-05-2012)
Old 03-05-2012, 06:09 PM   #10

Water Softener

I did find one online and printed it out...I'm just not exactly sure what part I'm supposed to do???
Old 03-05-2012, 06:16 PM   #11
Water Treatment

Rewards Points: 534

Water Softener

http://www.drinknwaterplus.com/docum...1%20Manual.pdf
With in the link for the pdf file, what shows as page 9 part number 45, the injector if plugged would not allow the brine to be pulled from the salt tank.
From what I can tell, it is a major deal to get to to clean out.
The cap will have to be removed and then some disc's removed so that one can pull the injector out.
Akpsdvan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Akpsdvan For This Useful Post:
crystal4293 (03-05-2012)
Old 03-05-2012, 06:28 PM   #12

Water Softener

Ok, not good news...but just so I can understand the process...the water that's in that cylinder thing in the brine tank is supposed to go into the tubing that's connected to the main tank? And because the water level isn't going down - it may be the injector is clogged? And a way to tell that is obviously - visual...but also by removing the black tubing from the elbow fitting inside that cylinder tank and feel for suction...this part I'm unclear - during anytime of the regeneration?
Old 03-05-2012, 07:09 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 250

Water Softener

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystal4293 View Post
Ok, not good news...but just so I can understand the process...the water that's in that cylinder thing in the brine tank is supposed to go into the tubing that's connected to the main tank? And because the water level isn't going down - it may be the injector is clogged? And a way to tell that is obviously - visual...but also by removing the black tubing from the elbow fitting inside that cylinder tank and feel for suction...this part I'm unclear - during anytime of the regeneration?
There should be suction during the brine draw/slow rinse part of the regeneration cycle. (Typically the regeneration process is Backwash, brine draw/slow rinse, fast rinse, brine fill, service) During brine draw/slow rinse the control head pulls brine from the brine tank. The suction is created by water flowing through a venturi in the control head. During brine fill water flows from the control head to the brine tank to make brine for the next regeneration cycle. There should be NO FLOW to/from the brine tank during backwash, fast rinse, and service.

Advertisement

Bob999 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob999 For This Useful Post:
crystal4293 (03-05-2012)