Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-22-2011, 04:33 PM   #1

Share |

Water Softener

My 11 year old Culligan Mark 89 water softener timer will run backwards after a power surge/interruption. I can sometimes reset it by pullingthe plug . Is it time to replace the whole unit not just the timer motor?

DavidS106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:31 PM   #2
Water Treatment

Water Softener

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidS106 View Post
My 11 year old Culligan Mark 89 water softener timer will run backwards after a power surge/interruption. I can sometimes reset it by pullingthe plug . Is it time to replace the whole unit not just the timer motor?
Digital control? or the older timer motor?
could be just a replacement of a motor or two..

Akpsdvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:17 AM   #3

Water Softener

It is a mechanical (not digital) timer. I was able to get it running properly yesterday by quickly taking it through a manual recharge and resetting the clock. So for now it is working again and I put a surge protector in place. I saw one post on another forum where someone else reported this problem and it was due to a bad circuit board. Whether I have circuit boards in this older unit, I don't know. If I call Culligan, it is ilikely to be $500 when I am finished and don't know if that is worth investing.
Old 12-23-2011, 12:21 PM   #4
Water Treatment

Water Softener

Digital controls have a set of challenges be they Culligan or any other brands.. one of them is that they do not like the brown outs.. often they are toast if there is a brown out.
Digital is just that, digital read out and not the 24 hour wheel in the upper right corner.
If yours is the older timer motor type with the 6 day wheel and the gray or black trip arm .. and the motor starts doing strange things... it is just a replacement of the motor.
I know that the timer motor from Fleck new runs any where from 20.00 to 45.00 depending on where one buys it.
I have not seen the new timer motor for the Culligan unit for sale on the auction site that starts with E...
There might be a used but still working motor show up..
The Following User Says Thank You to Akpsdvan For This Useful Post:
DavidS106 (12-23-2011)
Old 12-23-2011, 01:15 PM   #5

Water Softener

Thanks for your replies. It is an older motor as you described. I am surprised that a new timer motor would be that inexpensive. But I would have to go through Culligan as I wouldn't want to try replacing on my own. So when adding the service call of $100 plus per hour charges and cost of the motor and possibly other aprts , it can add up. But I will call Culligan to see if they would give me a price to replace the motor. Last time I tried, they wouldn't quote over the phone without knowing what the problem is.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:42 PM   #6
Water Treatment

Water Softener

Changing out the timer motor is not that hard.
Unplug the power.
The large cover comes off and then the timer assembly comes off, then the timer has two screws that hold it on the plate and often times two wire nuts or the wires go to a little bar that has small screws that hold the wires..
Right now I don't have any photos of the timer assembly, or how to change out the motor.. have not had the need to do one.