Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-16-2011, 08:23 AM   #1

Share |

Water softener

I am looking for some advice. I have gotten estimates from 4 water softner companies and the differences are vast. Two estimated a paper filter before the unit to get rid of sediment from the well, which is our main problem. Then the water care water softner or kinetico for the 10 grains of hardness. All other tests were good. One estimated just the water boss pro and no paper filter as it has a sediment filter. The last and most expensive bid was another watercare softner, but with a backwashing filter. The kinetico dealer made the most sense as they always place a paper filter before the water softner to avoid sediment problems and felt since you cant test for sediment, you start small and add as needed. We also had a disscussion about where to discharge the softner - sump pump (concern when we are not at the house) - septic ( many feel this is a bog no no) - outside (freezing)? Any advice would be great!

mooreshawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 12:49 PM   #2

Water softener

10 grains of hardness is not bad and removing large sediment is very cheap and easy. You need a big blue filter (4.5x20) with a 20-25 micron pleated filter.At 10 grains of hardness, you might not need a water softener.

mr.greenthumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 03:48 PM   #3

Water softener

wrong post

Last edited by Drywallhelp; 07-29-2011 at 03:52 PM. Reason: meant to post as own thread oops
Drywallhelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 06:36 AM   #4

Water softener

Ten grains is considered extremely hard. I would recommend a softener.
Andy CWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 05:14 AM   #5

Water softener

i use less of every soap possible in my house and detergent and less cleaning because this water softener is a dream come true. It saves you money so much. If you think about how much laundry detergent coast and the time spending scrubbing scum off you bathtubs ect you will get what you pay for and it pays for it self in the end. This is a dream machine and i am very thrifty but not when this can save tim and money and better water and softer clothes. Uses lest salt better for your skin and hair! A++++++++
jennierz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:51 AM   #6

Water softener

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.greenthumb View Post
10 grains of hardness is not bad and removing large sediment is very cheap and easy. You need a big blue filter (4.5x20) with a 20-25 micron pleated filter.At 10 grains of hardness, you might not need a water softener.
According to the WQA, 10 grains is considered extremely hard and I recommend softening it. I know people who have 60 grains and feel they don't need a softener and that is their prerogative. Nonetheless, it is hard water.

Andy CWS is offline   Reply With Quote