DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Plumbing (
-   -   Water Shuts off at sink... Help Please (

Spud1 08-20-2007 02:29 PM

Water Shuts off at sink... Help Please
Hi, I'm hoping someone can help with a problem we are having? The kitchen sink has a mixer faucet (handle/tap each for hot and cold with a center mounted outlet pipe) and a sprayer attachment. The sprayer attachment is connected to a flexible hose that attaches to the middle, underside, of the faucet assembly. The problem started with this sprayer unit. My wife attempted to use it to rinse some dishes but no water flowed when she depressed the handle on the plastic sprayer attachment. Then water wouldn't flow from either hot and/or cold tap either. I eventually got a dribble of water to flow by opening the cold tap a little and running the washing machine and both baths! (I hope this doesn't sound crazy but it is what happened. I actually thought I had an air lock of some kind and was attempting to disrupt the blockage by reducing pressure. We live in an old condo and water pressure is severly affected by turning on one or more outlets.) The water flow from both hot and cold taps increased but only to approx. half the pressure that existed before she tried to use the spray unit. The situation has pretty much stabilised now but it is not back to normal. When you turn on hot or cold you can turn it on a little - there is some spitting - like gas trapped - then it flows pretty consistently. However, if you turn the hot or cold tap too much there is a 'klunk' noise from the faucet and water stops flowing. Turn off the tap and there is another 'klunk' sound. Turn it on again, slowly, and you have water. Does this sound like a valve of some kind is broken or worn, or do I need a new complete unit? Your help and advice would be appreciated. Thanks. :(

MinConst 08-20-2007 08:40 PM

It doesn't sound like you are that handy with plumbing so I won't ask you to take the connections apart. But it does sound like you might have something worn out in the valve assembly. I would say call a plumber to have it looked at.

Spud1 08-24-2007 01:31 PM

Thanks for the reply. Have played around with plumbing for years in Europe but things are v different here. Found a diagram for the mixer assembly I have and yeah, you're right, it was a worn valve in the assembly. I have already removed the old faucet and replaced it. Thanks again for taking the time.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:17 AM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1