Water Shutoff Valve Replacement How To? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-28-2009, 01:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 384

Water shutoff valve replacement how to?

Attached i have a picture of a water shutoff control valve that is right above my water heater. While working on something else around the water heater, i shut off the water valve for safety(after shutting off the main water valve as well). Upon turnng both water supplies back on, water contiues to drip at the end of the shaft that connects the blue handle. This has happened a few times whenever i have worked on things around the water heater. I am thinking that this shutoff handle needs to be replaced?? Is this as easy as unscrewing the hex nut that is visible in the picture and removing the present on/off handle and replacing with a new one?
Attached Thumbnails
Water shutoff valve replacement how to?-plumbing.jpg  

Advertisement

kennykenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 01:36 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 264

Before you do anything be sure the valve is completely open. A partially open valve is more likely to drip. Once it is all the way open tighten the packing nut just a little. This should do it. If not, replace it. They are cheap and easy to do.

Rege

Advertisement

RegeSullivan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 01:44 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 384

Thanks....the valve has been all the way open. How do you go about replacing the valve? Do you just unscrew the nut that I mentioned and the handle will come come out and then replace with a new one? Will water come out of the valve when you are replacing one? Obvioulsy I wil shut off the water first.
kennykenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 01:53 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 264

First - I really thought tightening the packing nut would do it. Try giving the packing nut another 1/4 turn or more before you do anything else. You can crank them down pretty tight if you have to. Also, sometimes you can repack them. But if that don't do it you will need to cut out or unsolder the valve and solder in a new one. If you are concerned about you skills soldering remove the old one by de-soldering it and replace it with a compression valve. Just be sure to clean up all the old solder with emery cloth or sand paper.

Rege
RegeSullivan is online now   Reply With Quote