Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-06-2008, 08:18 PM   #1

Share |

Water shutoff valve doesn't let water thru

I have a manual lawn irrigation system with a shut off valve between the city water line and the irrigation system. The valve was new as of last fall (never used) and hadn't been used yet this year. When I tried to turn on the water, the handle of the valve would make several turns but no water came through. The other valves going out to the various lines in the unit turn less than a full turn which makes me suspicious that the shutoff valve has been "broken" some how. It's a Matco Norca valve. What has happened? Can it be fixed? If so, how?

kinhunter25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 09:08 PM   #2

Did the valve work properly when installed and is there any warranty on it? What area do you live in could this be freeze damage?

Old 04-11-2008, 08:26 AM   #3

The valve was never used after the installation so I can only assume that it was okay. There were no apparent leaks through the winter (and I would have seen them had there been). The first indication of a problem was a damp (not wet) spot around the closest in line sprinkler head which is located about 10 feet away a couple of weeks ago. Strange that the shutoff for that line didn't stop the leak but at least it appears that at most there was a "drip" coming through that valve.

The main shutoff valve is located deeper in the ground than the individual line shutoff valves and well below the freeze line for this area. I've never had a problem with freeze damage here (central Oklahoma).

As for warranties, I doubt it but will contact the company that did the installation to see what they will do.
kinhunter25 is offline   Reply With Quote