Water Shut Off Valve And Tree Roots - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-10-2010, 10:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Water Shut Off Valve and Tree Roots

Our water shut-off valve comes through the foundation wall and hair-like tree roots have gotten through all around where the pipe comes in bringing in dirt and moisture along with them. It looks like the former owner tried to tar over it, but this did not work and the tree roots came right through. We noticed this when we got water in our basement after a heavy rain. Is there anything we can use to stop the tree roots or do we have to dig up the front yard and sever the roots there? I will post pics in a little bit.

Advertisement

norulez43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:13 PM   #2

Here are the pictures. Hope this helps since I probably didn't explain too well. I had already removed the ends of the tree roots that were coming through but you can still see where they're coming in and all the wetness. It's pretty nasty.
Attached Thumbnails
Water Shut Off Valve and Tree Roots-2010-11-10_21-45-33_553.jpg   Water Shut Off Valve and Tree Roots-2010-11-10_21-45-44_518.jpg  

Advertisement

Old 11-11-2010, 01:17 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

i'd pour on some root killer for sewer lines, let it sit for awhile. once the roots are dead around the pipe fill the void with some concrete epoxy to keep em out
the_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 12:30 PM   #4

Someone had mentioned digging the outside foundation to expose where the pipe enters the foundation from the inside. They had said to use some dimple board. Does anyone know how to install dimple board? How would you install it around a pipe? I should only have to dig a few feet down to expose the pipe so this shouldn't be too hard if the installation isn't too bad.