Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-31-2008, 11:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75
Question

Water Shut-off Valve Relocation

Hi everyone- My family is currently finishing our basement. All of us are somewhat handy, but still quite novice. We are about to start framing, but respective to the necessary location of the "plumbing access hallway" we are including, the main water shut-off valve is inconveniently placed.

Right now, the exposed piping and attached valve are on one wall, and are placed about 8 feet away from the corner of the adjoining wall where the rest of the existing plumbing is.

If possible, we'd like to extend the pipe so that it reaches the area where the rest of the plumbing is, and then relocate the shut-off valve to the end of that extension. (Our goal would be to have access to the water shut-off valve at the end of the hallway that encloses the rest of the piping).

Is there a way we can do this ourselves without disturbing the meter? Could we seal off the existing valve, extend the pipes, and just install a new valve in the preferred location?

Any direction would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much

ClnlBrahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 11:26 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

It is most likely possible. Can you tell us what your underground water service pipe is made of? Soft copper, PEX, or something else?

A picture of the area in question would be a great benefit as well!

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 01:22 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Why not just install ANOTHER main shut off valve in your plumbing room and use it instead?

Mount an access panel over the existing valve if you ever need to close that valve cuz the new valve is leaking.
Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 01:38 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nestor_Kelebay View Post
Why not just install ANOTHER main shut off valve in your plumbing room and use it instead?

Mount an access panel over the existing valve if you ever need to close that valve cuz the new valve is leaking.
We thought of that, but it would still require extending the existing pipe. If we just keep the original valve tightly closed, extend the piping, and install a new valve in the perspective location, (and keep an access cabinet over the original valve just in case as you mentioned), would the meter remain undisturbed?

thekc- I believe they are copper. (could certainly be mistaken). The project is at my parent's house, (which, in the event this is relevant, is 17 years old)... I will take a picture or 2 when I'm over there tomorrow.

Really appreciate the quick responses.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:59 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

shut the exsisting valve and pipe out to the new location OR shut the main at the meter where the utility reads it and remove the exsisting house shut off and pipe that out
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 08:58 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via AIM to Marlin

Their is a reason that valve is right where the water enters the hosue. It's to minimize the number of joints of any type before the valve and to minimize the amount of pipe in the house before the valve. This reduces the chances of getting a leak before the valve. So if you extend the line into the closet yes you have a valve there but you still need to have the existing valve accessible through an access panel so what do you stand to gain by having two main valves?
What do you mean by leaving the meter undisturbed? If the meter is in your house it needs to stay where it is, and needs a large enough access that the meter can be removed and re-installed if necessary.
Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 01:59 AM   #7

So if you extend the line into the closet yes you have a valve there but you still need to have the existing valve accessible through an access panel so what do you stand to gain by having two main valves?

My reason for asking was because, being inexperienced, I did not know whether the existing valve had to be accessible once a new one was installed.

What do you mean by leaving the meter undisturbed? If the meter is in your house it needs to stay where it is, and needs a large enough access that the meter can be removed and re-installed if necessary.

Thanks for the input. We've nixed plans to extend any piping or add a new shut-off valve, understanding now that the original meter location is crucial and must be permanently accessible regardless of any new fixture. Our current plan is to include an access panel directly over the existing valve.
I appreciate the advice