Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-11-2007, 09:13 AM   #1

Share |

Water shut-off valve leak! HELP!!

Hi,I'm new here today. I have a leak on my water shut-off valve where the pvc meets copper valve. The landscaper hit the pipe with his lawnmower and now it's leaking. He didn't break the pipe,not that I can tell,but now I have a leak. Is there a way to repair this? It's a small leak,but I know it can grow larger if I don't do something about it now.

Sarah1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 09:57 AM   #2

My guess it that it is threaded joint. The PVC thread probably cracked under the impact. A new threaded end would have to be put on to the PVC this would be done by cutting the pipe back and using a new piece of PVC a new threaded adapter and a connecting sleeve with the proper primer and PVC cement.

Old 11-11-2007, 11:54 AM   #3

Thanks. I had a feeling that was what was going to have to be done. I was hoping there was another way,but I just tried some different methods and none of them worked. When I was working on the pipe,I realized he had cracked right at the thread just like you said. So now I'm waiting for a plumber. Thanks for your help though.
Sarah1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 01:38 AM   #4

The leak is probably occurring around the valve stem. The valve stem passes through a ?packing? nut and washer, which provide a watertight seal. In the ?old? days, fiber was packed tightly around the stem, hence the name. First try tightening the packing nut one-eighth to one-quarter turn with a wrench. On a new valve, this almost always stops the leak. If it doesn?t, the packing washer is probably damaged and will need replacement. Here?s how. First shut off the water to the leaking valve. Next remove the handle from the stem and then loosen and remove the packing nut. Remove the old washer and slide on the new one. Reinstall the packing nut, tighten lightly with a wrench (don?t overtighten at this or any other point) and reattach the handle. Turn the water back on, open the repaired valve and check for leaks. If it?s leaking, tighten the packing nut one-eighth of a turn at a time until the leak stops
Old 04-28-2008, 11:39 PM   #5

Water Heaters have a limited life, then leak after years of corrosion. Water Heaters are generally considered a maintenance-free appliance, but they are also one of the single most damaging appliances in the home. Because Water Heaters are continually under pressure, even small pressurized leaks can quickly flood and devastate a home. Whether at home, at work, or on vacation these flooding events can go undetected for hours or even days.
Lisa-Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 03:31 PM   #6

Occasionally, after shutting off a toilet supply valve to replace the tank plumbing parts, you may find that the shutoff valve leaks through the packing nut once the valve is opened again. To remedy this, most plumbing pros advise first using a groove joint pliers to tighten the packing nut one-eighth turn clockwise.

marissa is offline   Reply With Quote