DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Water results from Home Depot - How do I interpret?

6K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  darthsmozers 
#1 ·
I picked up a free kit at Home Depot whet you fill a small vile with tap water and mail it off to a 3rd party. The phone call back today told me the following: total dissolved solids = 94. Hardness = 3. When i asked for a scale or units, it was not very clear as all they said was both numbers should be zero. Upon googling their phone number, it came from a company in Fredericksburg Va who, i can only assume, markets water filtration services. Thats fine with me, but the lack of info made me pause. Does anyone know how i should interpret these numbers? Fyi home is on city water, brand new home completed in July. Kitchen sink water is a little cloudy gray or white, but we drink from the fridge's filtered water.

Thanks! And i apologize if this is not the right location to post this question.

#2 · (Edited)
TDS number is fine--no problem. Hardness of 3 is most likely in grains per gallon and, if GPG, indicates slightly hard water. Most people don't chose to soften water of 3 GPG. You indicate you have city water. All public water suppliers are required by law to do regular and extensive tests of the water they supply and provide those results to their customers. Many put them on a web site. If no web site call your water supplier and ask them for an analysis. It will be more complete than the results you posted.

#4 ·
Bob999 said:
TDS number is fine--no problem. Hardness of 3 is most likely in grains per gallon and, if GPG, indicates slightly hard water. Most people don't chose to soften water of 3 GPG. You indicate you have city water. All public water suppliers are required by law to do regular and extensive tests of the water they supply and provide those results to their customers. Many put them on a web site. If no web site call your water supplier and ask them for an analysis. It will be more complete than the results you posted.
Thanks for the education. I really appreciate it.

#6 ·
I know exactly how to interpret those numbers. First of all, the test was free. That in itself ought to tell you everything you need to know. Clearly they are not in business to earn a loss, so regardless of what numbers they give you, they are going to try to sell you something, whether you need it or not. Assuming units for the test is risky, if the test were any good, certainly you would be furnished real units.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.