DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Plumbing (
-   -   Water pressure valve (

princessme 02-10-2008 10:58 PM

Water pressure valve
I believe I need to adjust my water pressure valve, but I am unsure about knowing if it is "adjusted" correctly. Can someone give me some help?
Although I just replaced the springs, washers, cartridge, etc. in December,the upstairs tub/shower is now dripping horribly...Water flow is inconsistent in my kitchen,outside hose,etc. and in the upstairs bath whenever the toilet is flushed the bathroom sink drips for several minutes. A neighbor advised me to adjust the pressure valve and see if that works before I go spending anymore $$ (and before I start taking things apart!)
I'd appreciate any help on this....

Mike Swearingen 02-11-2008 08:41 AM

If you're on public water, you need to call to find out what their street pressure is at your home. You may need (or have) a Pressure Reducing Valve (which also requires an expansion tank at your water heater, since a PRV creates a closed system).
The next thing that you need is an inexpensive water pressure gauge that goes onto a hose spigot to check the pressure at your house. If it is above 60 psi, you need to install, adjust or replace your PRV, if you have one.
Good Luck!

Marlin 02-11-2008 03:59 PM

60-80 is a grey area. Most people are fine without a PRV, some start to have problems. Look by your your water meter and/or where the water line enters the house. If you have one that's where it will be, usually their is a pressure gauge on it or next to it.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:44 PM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1