Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-21-2009, 04:41 PM   #1

Share |

Water pressure problem

I replaced the T&P valve on my gas water heater because it was stuck open and running hot water down the drain constantly. The new valve still opens too often and my bathtub faucet is leaking now(it didn't leak before I replaced the T&P valve and it stops when I turn a faucet on or flush the toilet). I assume i have too much water pressure in the lines. My water company said the reading at the closest hydrant is 203 psi which I know is way too high. I do have a pressure reducer on my side of the water meter. Would it be better to install a pressure tank on the supply line to the water heater or can I just adjust the pressure reducer on the incoming water line of the house? Would either of these solutions take care of both the bathtub leak and the T&P valve opening too often?
Thanks in advance for any help!

Last edited by bmoss1973; 02-21-2009 at 05:17 PM. Reason: needed more info
bmoss1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 05:17 PM   #2
the Musigician

Water pressure problem

the faucet may be leaking because you broke loose some gunk in the lines that are messing with the valve. i'd pull it and check it out.
the tp going off often may be because of high temp, in which case, turn it down.
and if you turn the pressure down, be sure you are turning it the right way.

DM

Old 02-21-2009, 05:20 PM   #3

Water pressure problem

I assume clockwise would close the valve thereby reducing pressure, correct?
Old 02-21-2009, 05:35 PM   #4
the Musigician

Water pressure problem

in one thread here somewheres i think i saw it was backwards, but i might be bassackwards myself.

DM
Old 02-22-2009, 10:19 AM   #5

Water pressure problem

My goodness thats alot of pressure. Are they trying to overcome small mains with whooping pressure??It costs to create all that pressure,,,seems wasteful to me. Get a pressure gauge and plumb it to hose thread and measure what you have,its the only way to KNOW!!! Around here anything over about 50-60 pounds is uncommon,,,and hard on older lines!! I would think a pressure regulator would wear out or increase with age. Too much pressure would blow the glass out of your hand,,,etc.
4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 10:36 AM   #6

Water pressure problem

could be a couple of things. water heater could be over heating itself. has water temp. increased? has the city done any recent work on outside water lines? reducing valve gone bad. has water pressure increased? new meters all installed with a check valve.hope it helps
astottl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 12:57 PM   #7

Water pressure problem

Hey i am having same problem and its because the city is installing backflow meters on everyones meter causing higher pressure to everyone.They say thermal expansion tanks will help but im afrain id have same troubles as you are with the other lines.I may put a reducer valve in to lower pressure if it will help,along with expansion tank and relief valve,all will only help lower pressure along with lowering water heater temp a tad.I may be going too far but a pressure of 125 - the spike -was too high for me.
hidden 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 01:16 PM   #8

Water pressure problem

I turn the water heater temp. up in the winter so I can take hotter showers. I've turned it back down a little to help ease the problem. I've got a 5/8" water service line coming into the house instead of the new standard 3/4" line. Is that making the water pressure higher? I think my water pressure is too high inthe house. Does this sound correct?
Old 02-22-2009, 05:08 PM   #9

Water pressure problem

did you test the pressure at the main incoming line in the house,or at the closest spicket?..with and without hot water on?...Thats was when it maxed to 130 peak-from 80 regular.on mine,.if you have a change in pipe size id think a regulator could help compensate any change in pressure and give even flow through out home..and a in line relief valve too if yours goes up to 200 or overloads before waterheater..but thats just a suggestion ,from what ive had happen recently..

hidden 1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pressure tank, water heater pressure, water pressure, water pressure reducer