Water Pressure..please Help. - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-20-2012, 02:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

water pressure..please help.

Hello,
i was having problems with water pressure where you couldn't run 2 fixtures at the same time(when you had a shower you couldn't do dishes). i recently installed new air tank in home. the water pressure was great for about a month. you could have a shower, run a wash and do dishes and the water pressure wouldn't change at all. now when i turn the water on it comes out decent pressure for about 3-10 sec then drops drastically. the pressure gauge on the pump is reading 40-60 psi but there is no way that is whats coming out. the tank doesn't turn on very frequently. when the pump kicks on at 37 psi, it runs from about 45sec-1 min to fill the tank to 65 psi. i can have a long shower and the pump will only kick on once or twice. this is why i dont think its a bladder problem.

i have checked the pre charge on the tank and its 2 psi below the pumps cut in number. just wondering why the pressure ran so great for a month or so and now its back to the way it was before new tank???
thanks
would not having a pressure release on the system be an issue. usually if you have over 70 psi you need one right??

Advertisement

Last edited by chfbrd; 11-20-2012 at 02:52 PM.
chfbrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:19 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,168

How old is your home, and what type of plumbing do you have, i.e. copper, galvanized pipe, etc.?

Advertisement

DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:24 PM   #3
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,178

I am going to guess that there is nothing wrong with the pump or pressure tank. You may have a blockage in the fixture that is getting low flow (may not be low pressure, may be low flow). Faucet aerators often get clogged with debris, and the faucet appears to have low pressure, when the real problem is simply debris in the aerator. Similar problems can occur in showerheads. A simple check is to remove the aerator, if the problem goes away, you have found the issue, simply clean or replace the aerator.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel Holzman For This Useful Post:
DexterII (11-20-2012)
Old 11-20-2012, 08:51 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman View Post
I am going to guess that there is nothing wrong with the pump or pressure tank. You may have a blockage in the fixture that is getting low flow (may not be low pressure, may be low flow).
I concur. The reason that I asked the age and type of plumbing was that my first suspicion was perhaps galvanized pipe, but Daniel is right on the mark to check aerators, etc. first. Either way though, it sounds like a blockage closer to the point of use, not at the pump or tank.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote