Water Pressure Lower After Accident - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-06-2014, 08:26 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Water pressure lower after accident

So a little bit of a back story on my situation. I have well water in Lake Charles, LA and my pressure tank and shutoff equipment is in a shed in the backyard. A few weeks ago, I had set some plywood in the shed and it leaned on a Water Softener Tank which fell onto and broke the PVC that connects all of my water lines together.

A friend, my neighbor, and I bought new PVC and fixed all the connections. While we were in the shed my friend points to the pressure tank and asks what it is. I have no idea. He assumes it's a storage tank for water and says that if it is, it should be full, right? So he then "bleeds" the air out through a spot at the top, similar to that of a car tire until a little water comes out.

When we finished with everything in the shed, we went inside and checked the water and everything was working well. However, water pressure is fine everywhere in the house EXCEPT in my guest bathroom, where the faucet is weaker than it used to be and the toilet tank isn't filling up as quickly. I looked up possible issues, and we've tried clearing the lines, but even when we disconnect the water line from the toilet, water is barely trickling out. The pressure in the Master Bathroom is fine, though. No change to report anyway. Toilet, sink, shower, and tub all work like before.

Also, I'm not sure if this is relevant or not, but now I get this vibrating noise through my house. I think it may come one when more than one water-using item is on at a time (i.e. dishwasher, washing machine, shower, etc.)

I'm just trying to figure out how I can fix the pressure situation in my bathroom. And if anyone has any ideas for the vibrations, I'm willing to try almost anything. Sorry for being so long winded, just wanted to make sure that I covered how I got here. I appreciate any help that you can give!

Advertisement

ddouet1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:38 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 664

No the tank should not be fill of water.
There's rubber bladder inside that tank that's needed to be pressurized to about 2, PSI less then the cut on pressure.
http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/p...nk/replace.htm

If you do not know something please come here and ask before doing and save yourself some work.

Advertisement

Old 02-06-2014, 09:17 AM   #3

How can I add air to the tank? Or is replacing it the only option? I read and they said with an air compressor, but is my cause lost becuase the tank was full of water is my question.

Last edited by ddouet1; 02-06-2014 at 09:20 AM.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:03 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,690

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddouet1 View Post
How can I add air to the tank? Or is replacing it the only option? I read and they said with an air compressor, but is my cause lost becuase the tank was full of water is my question.
Not a lost cause. Drain the tank of all water and add air to 2 lbs. less than the switch cut in pressure. You don't necessarily need a compressor. Any air supply will work as in a portable air tank hand pump etc..

To remove some of the mystery of what is within the tank I've added a picture of the rubber membrane that separates the water and air.
Attached Images

Last edited by SeniorSitizen; 02-06-2014 at 10:08 AM.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:08 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 25

A picture of your pressure tank would help.

Your pressure tank probably has Tee coming out of the bottom of the tank.

1 side coming from the well, 1 side coming from the tank, & 1 side going to the house.

Mounted on that Tee should be your pressure switch. ( it's the thing with wires connected to it)

Under the cover it should tell you what pressure the switch is for.

It will probably be 20 - 40 or 30 -50.

The 1st number is your cut on pressure & the 2nd number is your cut off pressure.

Now turn the well off & drain the pressure tank. There should be a drain valve connect to the Tee.

Then close the drain valve & put 2psi of air less then the cut-on pressure with a air compressor or bicycle pump. If you use a air compressor be careful you do not put too much pressure in the tank. ( if you have a 20 - 40 switch you would put 18psi of air in it)

Now turn your well back on & your pump should turn off when reaches the cut off pressure. You may have to replace your gauge, because they are cheap & do not last long.

Then drain water out of tank until the pump comes back on. It should come on @ the cut on pressure.

If it does not come on @ the cut on pressure or cut off pressure you may have to adjust the switch.

You also want to drain the tank down the cut on pressure a couple of times to make sure the switch is set right.

Good luck.
TOOL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:12 AM   #6
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

You mentioned that he let the air out of the tank until a little bit of water came out.....

Water should not come out unless you don't have a bladder tank, or the bladder in your tank has failed.
joecaption (02-06-2014)
Old 02-06-2014, 01:18 PM   #7

Here are some pictures of my current setup. I hope that these are good enough to give y'all a better idea of what I'm working with.
Attached Thumbnails
Water pressure lower after accident-photo-1.jpg   Water pressure lower after accident-photo-2.jpg   Water pressure lower after accident-photo-3.jpg  
Old 02-06-2014, 07:37 PM   #8
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

That tank should have a bladder inside. If water came out of the schrader valve on top, it is likely leaking. Check it again to be certain.

If you were to drain the system and disconnect the tank it would be very easy to pick up and there would be no water in it. If there is sloshing around after the tank is disconnected then the water has permeated the bladder and it has failed.

Advertisement

Ghostmaker (02-06-2014)

Tags
bathroom , pressure , toilet , water , well water