Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-13-2012, 10:13 PM   #1

Share |
Question

water pressure lower and

Hi, I have a weird one for you. I've tried googling this, searching other forums, and searching this forum so I figured I did my due dilligence searching on my own, but no luck.
My water heater (40 Gallon Gas Kenmore) was leaking so we called a plumber out. It started with a slow steady stream off the pressure relief valves down spout, then a faster (but not crazy fast) stream for an hour or so after showering or using hot water. The plumber said that just the relief valve was bad and replaced it.
Later, I went to give my 11 month old daughter a bath, I noticed that I had to turn the water to a hotter position on the dial, a lot more than normal, and the water pressure was lower. I figured I "may have" had the heater turned up a little higher than I should have before the valve went bad, and the plumber had set it to what it is really supposed to be set at. When I turned the bath off (one dial faucet, left for hot, right for cold, all the way right is off) there was a steady stream of water running and it ran for about 20 minutes.
Even later, when I took a shower, it did it again.
Could the plumber have turned down our water pressure? Put a wrong rated (?) valve in? I don't know. All of the forums I've read says its the valve behind the shower control (on hot cold) valve, but it would be an odd coincidence if that went bad tonight!
Any help is appreciated..Sorry for the long post!

Last edited by boomjack; 02-13-2012 at 10:16 PM.
boomjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 10:52 PM   #2
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors

water pressure lower and

Im not sure what the pop off valve could have done to cause this,my guess would be when he shut off the water to replace the pop off valve some crud got knocked loose in the line when he turned the water back on and it worked its way up to your shower valve

The Following User Says Thank You to plummen For This Useful Post:
boomjack (02-13-2012)
Old 02-13-2012, 11:15 PM   #3

water pressure lower and

Thank you for replying so fast. My other searches said it was the shower valve, but it didn't make sense to me. When you said something may have gotten loose when he shut the water off and replaced the valve, it kind of clicked. The old blow off valve was pretty corroded, so now it makes sense to me. Thank you!
I will be now searching the threads to see how to replace that valve. I pulled the handle off and see the lines going into the valve. My only concern is that its going to leak after I replace it hahaa! Oh well, only one way to find out!
Old 02-13-2012, 11:50 PM   #4

water pressure lower and

It should not need replacing. The stem just needs to come out and be cleaned as well as the anti scald valve.
Every company is differant on how the valves come apart so unless we know the brand of have a picture it's hard to help.
The water has to be shut off before you do anything.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
plummen (02-14-2012)
Old 02-14-2012, 11:48 PM   #5

water pressure lower and

Very cool, since its Valentine Days I didn't have time to mess with it, but thanks for saving me some money! I looked online and it did not look too difficult, i'm going to dig in to it tomorrow, and hopefully won't have to post a pic (unless i get stuck hahah).
The Following User Says Thank You to boomjack For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (02-15-2012)