DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Plumbing (
-   -   Water Pressure in Home - Pressure Reducer or Expansion Tank (

georgemeaders 09-11-2012 11:07 AM

Water Pressure in Home - Pressure Reducer or Expansion Tank
I just installed a new 50 gallon electric water heater as the one in the house we bought sprung a leak. After turning on the water heater, I noticed a steady pool of water forming under the pipe hooked up to the T&P release valve. I turned off the water heater and last night hooked up a pressure gauge to the hose spigot outside and saw a steady reading of 85, which seems rather high. This morning I came out and the high reading showed at close to 200 (I don't know if the pressure actually reached that, or if it got messed with over night).

My question is, with a water pressure steady at 85, even without the hot water heater turned on, is this why my valve at the water heater was leaking. If so, should I have a plumber install a pressure reducing valve at main pipe leading to the house, or would an expansion tank at the water heater take care of it?

joecaption 09-11-2012 11:17 AM

Is this a well or public water system?
If it's public water the water company should take care of the pressure regulator.

Even 85 PSI is way high, you do not need more then 60 PSI.

georgemeaders 09-11-2012 11:31 AM

The property is on city water; I can contact the city about installing something like that, but in the meanwhile we're without hot water.

georgemeaders 09-11-2012 12:28 PM

I checked with the city, and unfortunately they don't help anymore, or reimburse for work done.

rjniles 09-11-2012 01:58 PM

You need am expansion tank in any case. Install this first and retest the pressure. If it is still high, install a regulator.

Maintenance 6 09-11-2012 04:00 PM

I'm not sure why the city would install that equipment. It's yours to install. I have to assume there is a backflow preventer on your supply from the street. Without an expansion tank, you've got water trapped downstream from the backflow preventer. As your water heats and expands it has no where to go but out the TP relief valve. Without the relief valve, the tank or some other part of the plumbing in your house would rupture. It's hard to believe that you've never had a problem prior to this.

ben's plumbing 09-12-2012 08:51 PM

I would install install both..regulato for high pressure...expanison tank for water heater safety.....

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:51 AM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1