Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-25-2009, 11:40 AM   #1

Share |

Water pressure dropping

Hello, my home was built in 2001 and I haven't had any problems with the plumbing until earlier this week. Every time I turn on the water to any of the faucets in the house, I get really good water pressure for about 30 seconds (better than I've ever had.) After that 30 seconds, the water pressure drops suddenly and immensely. I've checked the street water valve to ensure it is fully open and I've also checked the main into the house. Both are completely open. I do have a water softener and have tried putting it on bypass, however the same results occur. This happens whether I use hot or cold water. Between the street water valve and my home water valve is some kind of contraption that might be a water pressure reduction valve. I'm not sure which part is the valve however. There are 2 parts in this picture, a painted part near the ground and the brass part at the top near the spigot. I'm concerned because the brass part near the spigot (with the wires attached to it) is leaking water ever so slightly. Could this be the cause of my water pressure problems? HELP!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Water pressure dropping-water-main.jpg  
tucsoncop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 12:05 PM   #2
Oldie but Newbie

Water pressure dropping

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsoncop View Post
Hello, my home was built in 2001 and I haven't had any problems with the plumbing until earlier this week. Every time I turn on the water to any of the faucets in the house, I get really good water pressure for about 30 seconds (better than I've ever had.) After that 30 seconds, the water pressure drops suddenly and immensely. I've checked the street water valve to ensure it is fully open and I've also checked the main into the house. Both are completely open. I do have a water softener and have tried putting it on bypass, however the same results occur. This happens whether I use hot or cold water. Between the street water valve and my home water valve is some kind of contraption that might be a water pressure reduction valve. I'm not sure which part is the valve however. There are 2 parts in this picture, a painted part near the ground and the brass part at the top near the spigot. I'm concerned because the brass part near the spigot (with the wires attached to it) is leaking water ever so slightly. Could this be the cause of my water pressure problems? HELP!!!

I've always been on a well, so I don't have a clue what that contraption is in your picture or how to help you, but I just wanted to say that you did an excellent job of describing the problem and what you've done so far to isolate and identify it. If only everyone was as descriptive.

Good luck! I'm sure someone will be along soon who knows what they're doing.
LookoutRanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 12:19 PM   #3

Water pressure dropping

Thanks, I'm trying. Driving me nuts. City water hookup obviously. Hoping someone can help. Now finding water is dropping so badly I can't even use the dishwasher and toilets are taking 3 mins to fill back up.
tucsoncop is offline   Reply With Quote