Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-28-2010, 01:09 PM   #1

Share |
Exclamation

Water Pressure to bathtub = poor. Please HALP!

Hello all,

I've recently had to turn my water main on and off multiple times for the need to work on a pipe. In doing so, i must've dislodged debris within the inner linings of the pipes that lead to my bathtub because the pressure has become so low and unbearable. Both the faucet and showerhead have poor water pressure. All other faucets in the restroom work fine. It takes about 6-7 seconds for the water to make it up to the showerhead after i pull the shower lever due to the low pressure. When i turn the shower off and put my ear to the showerhead, i can hear a 'suction' noise (i dont know if that helps).

- Do I to find someway to flush the pipes to clean em?

Thanks in advance for all of your help brethren...

stiggz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 04:52 PM   #2

Dislodged sediment will probably not affect both the hot and cold at exactly the same moment. There will be a delay on the hot side as sediment makes it through the water heater (and probably settles to the bottom of the tank rather than immediately go up to the faucet and lodge there.

If both hot and cold did get sluggish at the same time, try taking off the shower head and check for clogging there.

ONe thing you can also try (does not work with all brands of faucets).

Turn off the water. Remove the valve stems as if you are going to change the washers. Close the shower curtain.

Turn on the water for just a moment. If you are lucky, the sediment will be blown out of the pipes at the partly disassembled faucets, without water (together with possibly staining rust) all over the place.

Last edited by AllanJ; 04-29-2010 at 03:12 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 05:03 PM   #3

My tub gives me 6 GPM, hot + cold. What flow rate are you getting?
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 08:51 AM   #4

Allan,

thanks a million for your advice. your information is a Godsend. I will try the latter part of your suggestion since both my hot and cold water (to both my showerhead and lower faucet) get the same amount of (poor) water pressure when i get home today from work. I will let you know how it goes.

thanks again

Yoy,

I have no idea what youre talking about. my water pressure sucks. it feels like a couple of people repeatedly spitting on me when i take a shower
Old 04-29-2010, 08:57 AM   #5

dont do the sinks like the shower recommendation
Old 04-29-2010, 09:31 AM   #6

sorry for the misunderstanding. i meant to say lower shower spout (not head) in my previous post when i said "lower faucet"
Old 04-29-2010, 12:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiggz View Post

Yoy,

I have no idea what youre talking about. my water pressure sucks. it feels like a couple of people repeatedly spitting on me when i take a shower
Substitute 'drip rate' for 'flow rate.'
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 02:42 PM   #8

May also have to clean the shower head. Might be able to soak it in vinegar to clean it ot just disassmble and cleaned.

I have learned to leave the valves open when turning water back on if it has been off a while, especially if the water heater has been drained. This way, the sdiment has little chance of bunching up anywhere and will just blow out through the faucets. The tub seems to be the worse at catching sediment. Sometimes you have to remove the screens on the sink faucets.
boman47k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 07:44 AM   #9

do you guys think my problem would be behind the wall since both my bathtub spout AND showerhead have poor water pressure? i've been trying to read up online and people are saying that I may need to change some 'cartridge' that may have build-up. I have never seen one in/around my shower so it must be behind the wall
Old 04-30-2010, 09:06 AM   #10
Military Mom of 4

If it is both hot and cold in your shower then it's likely junk in your distributer bar (where the water comes in - and is directed out)

It might be that the inlets on your distributer bar is fouled and junked - or it's likely that it's ruptured or broken in some way. I think you're at a point where you need to open your wall and disassemble, take a closer inspection of the components.