Water-powered Sump Pump - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-31-2011, 11:19 PM   #1
Just call me Andrew

Rewards Points: 1,012

Water-powered sump pump

I have a friend who's basement flooded due to a power failure during a storm. I've head of "water-powered" sump pumps that use municipal water (and wastes lots of it) in a venturi system to siphon water out of the pit.

Do these work well? If so, any recommendations on which to buy?

Advertisement

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 03:30 PM   #2
Below Grader

Rewards Points: 75

Water-powered sump pump

A water powered sump pump is usually used as a backup pump, because it can run when the power goes out. It indeed works with municipal water and relies heavily on the water pressure in your house.

It doesn't work in areas where municipal water has low pressure or in homes with well water.

Water pumps require 3-5 gallons of town water to be pumped away for each gallon of water you pump out of your basement, which is why they are considered wasteful.

A good alternative to them are battery operated backup sump pumps. Good models come with batteries specifically developed for this application (which, unlike generic marine or car batteries, will not die if they remain unused for long periods of time).

These batteries can pump up to 12,000 gallons on a full charge and good backup pumps can be hooked to multiple batteries for longer lasting protection.

Advertisement

CyFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 03:56 PM   #3
Just call me Andrew

Water-powered sump pump

Oh, I had only intended to recommend it as a backup for when the power goes out. We live on city water, 70-80psi, so no issue there.

Is there one of this type (water-powered) that works better than another?

Recommendations on a good battery-backup for a sump?

Old 09-03-2011, 08:18 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 37

Water-powered sump pump

I have also been investigating water powered sump pumps as a backup. Some of the makes I have been investigating are Basepump, Zoeller, Wayne, and Liberty. These pumps typically need at least 40 lbs of water pressure in order to work, and higher water pressure makes them more efficient. The figures I have typically seen indicate that 1 gallon of water into the pump will remove about 2 gallons of water from the sump. In looking at ratings on various forums the Basepump models seem to do well, and there are mixed reviews on the other makes. I haven't made a choice yet for which make to go with, but I thought this information would help. There are a few videos on YouTube showing water powered sump pumps, and they are somewhat helpful but I haven't found a really good source for reviews yet.
rvmeush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:07 AM   #5
Just call me Andrew

Water-powered sump pump

I looked into a bunch of these this weekend, it seems like Basepump gets the best reviews. They are also pricey, especially considering you'd need to buy other things as well, like a check valve for the water system. I do like the idea that it will always work. The battery units concern me since they sit unused for possibly months on end, who knows if the battery will even hold a charge when the time comes.

Any other thoughts on these?

Old 09-12-2011, 10:28 AM   #6
Experienced

Rewards Points: 2,000

Water-powered sump pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by secutanudu View Post
I looked into a bunch of these this weekend, it seems like Basepump gets the best reviews. They are also pricey, especially considering you'd need to buy other things as well, like a check valve for the water system. I do like the idea that it will always work. The battery units concern me since they sit unused for possibly months on end, who knows if the battery will even hold a charge when the time comes.

Any other thoughts on these?
I have had a battery backup system for at least (7) years, the system comes with a charger and a probe inserted in the 2nd cell from the positive terminal to monitor electrolite, there are also alarms on the system to report when it has been triggered.

I would test this system at least twice a year (as should be done with any backup system) and it performed each and every time.

As a safegaurd I did purchase a second battery and connected it to the system in parrallel thus therocially doubling its operational time.

Mark
Old 09-13-2011, 04:41 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 75

Water-powered sump pump

best is the gaurdian...it's been on HGTV, this old house, ect..but it's pricey..400

I also am looking for 1. our local store stopped selling zoeller. they kept coming back???.

I think i'm going to try the liberty. I live on the water in Baltimore, md and have a basement that is finished. i get power outages alot..my sump pump also works every hr.

I'd be interested to hear from people who have them....

Advertisement

chipraynor is offline   Reply With Quote