Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-23-2010, 07:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

water pouring in basement

please help.. a few days ago I had a small amount of water running across the basement floor when we showered or did laundry. I saw water building up around the bottom of the main drain. I also had alot of water running out of a crack in the driveway. The water company came out and listened for a leak. didn't really hear anything except a small whistle. They were coming back the next day since it was middle of night and cold. Neighbors said they came and left. Did nothing. Then water started pouring out from the base of the main if we used the shower.then we sealed around the bottom of the main with mighty putty. When we did that we found a 2 " hole in the cement behind the pipe. We have heard different things, ranging from a broken pipe inside the floor area to possible cloged drains. We have had problems with the toilet clogging on a regular basis and with slow drains. I have Baron proffessional strength drain opener but am afraid to use it because I don't want caustic chemicals running across the basement floor with my pets. What can I do to find oout what the problem is or fix it? I am a woman who knows nothing about plumbing.

mamanosbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 07:51 PM   #2

Can you post any pictures of the scenario?

Ryanrpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 08:11 PM   #3
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors
Rewards Points: 2,010

is the water showing up only when youre using water/going down the drain? is it backing up from floor drains?
plummen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 08:17 PM   #4

I'm trying to get pictures but computer won't load them Can't really see much anyway, just the pipe and the stuff I used to seal it.

I only have the problem when we use water nothing is coming up thru the floor drain.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:52 PM   #5
Irrigation Contractor

Location: South Central British Columbia - The great White North
Rewards Points: 75

Mama, If it was me, I would be looking for a plumber with a camera to see what was in the way. You could have a broken pipe, or a blocked line. Ask friends, neighbors or family in the area for recommendations for a plumber. Stay away from the big 'Rooter' companies.

This way you know what you are up against.

Mick
Water Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 08:56 PM   #6
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors
Rewards Points: 2,010

if nothing backs up from floor drain its probably not a backed up main sinse that should be lowest point and would be affected first.
plummen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 12:30 AM   #7

I was noticing that there was no leaking when we flushed the toilet so I started using water in different areas of house today to see what happened. Now, we had sealed up aroung the bottom of the main the other day but after a shower it was leaking in one spot (right by where the hole was). Today I ran water in the bathroom sink, the kitchen sink and the laundry tub and no leak was showing. So I wondered if it was not enough pressure or something to make it leak since I sealed it. Next I poured 1 bucket of water down the shower drain and it immediately leaked. Then I tried the kitchen sink again and nothing. I used the washer and it also leaked. Just thought it was weird that it didn't show leak from the other areas and wondered if maybe that meant something.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:45 AM   #8
Irrigation Contractor

Location: South Central British Columbia - The great White North
Rewards Points: 75

Mama, It doesn't matter how much you try to seal the top of the drain in the basement. Yes you can try to keep the water from coming out, but you still have a leak problem. If you don't fix the leak now it will get worse. If it gets worse, it will be more expensive.

Are you on a slab?

If the water isn't coming into your basement it's washing out under the slab. Just because you can't see it anymore, doesn't mean that it's fixed.

Mick
Water Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 01:18 AM   #9

thanks .... I know its not fixed just trying to see if theres something I can try before calling a plumber. Was hoping that it may mean something if it doesn't leak from every drain I use. I'm trying to advoid spending the money that I don't have!! I think your right, it will probably only get worse.
Old 01-24-2010, 04:22 AM   #10
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Plumbers are expensive but most I use don't waste time. And when you consider their costs in the context of waiting for things and having to do all kinds of repairs because you did? Definitely ask around. As mentioned, do not use a franchise one. I would get somebody out sooner rather than later if it were my house.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote