DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Water pools around vanity drain

15K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  techpappy 
#1 ·
I installed two new faucet assemblies in our vanity. Problem is that water pools around the drain. The water sits on the flange and runs right up to the drain, but will not go over the lip. Almost like the flange has an oily coating. I have tried various cleaners with no success. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

#3 ·
Thanks for your comment. I did use plumbers putty to seat the flange. The flange is not too high - the water pools over the flange and extends maybe a 1/8 inch into the sink area around the flange. The water sits on the flange and goes right to the edge of the drain opening, but does not flow over the edge of the drain opening. If I put my finger on the edge of the drain opening, the water will follow my finger into the drain. It is like the surface tension of the water is holding it on the top surface of the flange.

#6 ·
Does it drain though? 1/8" of water, I wouldn't get too worked up about as long as it drains. Some things you can't fix.

Like my lav drain, drains perfectly with the cover for the pop up removed, with it on, it will constantly have about a quarter inch of water pooled around it. But, it still drains. Design flaw, I guess. This is a cheap price pfister, can't expect too much.

#7 ·
Ignored the little pool of water at first, but when pink mold began growing around the drain, decided I needed to do something about it. The problem has to be related to the finish Delta put on this fixture. I have installed other Delta fixtures and never had this problem before. Sent a note to Delta about it but haven't heard back yet. This site is much faster :). Hoping to come up with some way to improve the surface wetting characteristics of the drain flange without destroying the finish. May be impossible.

#8 ·
So you're saying that all the time it has that pool? Even say ten minutes after the faucet has been shut off?

If so, yeah that's pretty bad, even mine will eventually drain it all. Definitely let us know how Delta responds.

Re: the surface finish, maybe a light oil? Worth a try once at least.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.