Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-08-2008, 09:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Water pooling in corner of tub

I have a bathtub/shower that is pooling water in the front corner between the surround and the tub. Even though i squeegee the water out of the corner each time i shower the caulk is peeling up. I have tried recaulking it twice with different brands of tub and tile caulk, Dap and GE with at least a 35 year warranty, and gave them plenty of time to cure. What i am wondering is whether i need to try to reset the tub, or is there a different type of caulk that will stand up to constant water contact better?

dboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 02:33 AM   #2
DIY'r

Rewards Points: 500

You may want to try a marine-grade caulk. GE, 3M, and many others make them. Can't point you to a source right now, but I'm sure google can, or a local marine supply (if you're near the water). They're generally tougher and more tolerant to constant water exposure (for obvious reasons).

Just make sure the caulk can be applied to the surfaces you have (e.g. if the tub is fiberglass, make sure it's OK for use on fiberglass). The tube should have that info printed on it, or the manufacturer can tell you.

Also, if it's peeling up quickly, make sure you clean the surface thoroughly before re-applying. Scrape off all the old caulk and clean with alcohol, letting it dry completely.

Of course, the best solution is to level the tub, but that's a while heap of work, and your problem doesn't sound too severe.

ScottR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 09:31 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

I guess i never really thought about a marine grade caulk. That sounds like it could work. I think that i might scuff the area where i'll be applying the caulk with some fine grade sandpaper. it might give it better adhesion. thank you for your help.
dboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 11:23 AM   #4
DIY'r

Rewards Points: 500

Agreed, some scuffing will probably give better results. I wouldn't want to recommend marring your tub.
ScottR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
caulking, tub