Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-02-2010, 12:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Water pooling around the base of the toilet

After I flush the toilet i observe water pooling around the base of the toilet what could be the problem

mrsp48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 01:51 PM   #2
fabrk8r

Rewards Points: 500

If it's only happening when flushed then it is most likely the wax ring that seals the toilet to it's flange.

If this is the case it is a fairly easy fix.

One thing to check though is that the water actually is coming from under the base of the toilet. If the water is coming from elsewhere then it could be other things, such as the connection between the tank and the toilet base, the angle stop may be leaking or it could simply be sweating (condensation) from the cold tank running or dripping onto the floor during periods of high humidity.

Old 06-02-2010, 06:50 PM   #3
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,020

Clean the area where the tank meets the toilet base really good, let it dry, and place a piece of paper towel on this area. Don't fold it, cut it, tear it, one layer layed flat on this area. Flush the toilet and see if this paper gets wet, IF SO, the leak is there. Place a paper towel (toilet tissue is too thin for these tests) on the floor below where the supply line attaches to the toilet tank itself, flush the toilet and look for a leak there. Again, place paper towel under the angle stop (cut-off valve), flush the toilet and observe for leak there. Wipe the tank surface with a paper towel to check for condensation right after the tank fills from one of the flushing's. So many things to check for, but it's important to find the exact cause of the water pooling on the floor. The last check: Pour some of the blue stuff you would normally use in the toilet tank directly into the bowl when full. Flush the toilet and observe for water pooling on the floor. IF it is blue, then it is most likely the toilet seal. Good Luck, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 03:03 PM   #4
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,018

I'm probably getting ahead of things here, but I'll share anyway.

When DH and I replaced out upstairs toilet we messed up the wax ring the first time. We had a hard time getting the thing lined up. A few weeks after it was installed it started leaking like the OP described.

Now I realize you experts could probably throw the toilet from across the room and have it land correctly, but us newbies can have a hard time trying to see through the toilet to where those stupid bolts are coming up.

The second time I cut some scrap 2x2 into five inch pieces. I put them in the 10, 2, and 6 o'clock positions around the flange and set the toilet (with ring) on them until we got everything lined up correctly, then one person lifts the toilet just enough for the other to knock the blocks out of the way and set it down straight.

Maybe I made it more complicated than it needed to be, but not only did it work for us, it worked without swearing!

Last edited by Blondesense; 06-03-2010 at 03:07 PM.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 03:36 PM   #5
Knows everything but that

Rewards Points: 150

This isnt my idea but ive heard others suggest putting straws on the bolts so that they are easier to line up before you get the toilet so close to the floor. Works like a charm.
JakAHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 12:16 PM   #6
Handyman

Rewards Points: 500

"Pour some of the blue stuff you would normally use in the toilet tank directly into the bowl when full. Flush the toilet and observe for water pooling on the floor. IF it is blue, then it is most likely the toilet seal."

Food colouring also works well

canadaclub is offline   Reply With Quote