DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Water pipe selection???

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Bonus 
#1 ·
I have a balcony/patio on top of my garage. I would like to install a water spigot up on the balcony to allow for a small hand sprayer to water the plants. I was thinking of tapping into the normal garden hose spigot inside the garage and running some pipe up through the ceiling out into the corner of the balcony. At that point, I could simply put a garden hose connection after a on/off valve.

My question is what material pipe should I use...copper, PVC, steel? I was thinking of using either copper or PVC to keep it simple for joning pieces and connecting elbows or fittings. After drilling through the ceiling, I would seal the hole around the pipe with a generous amount of silicone caulk.

If you have any suggestions on material selection, or creative ideas on the process, I am all ears.

Thanks in advance.

#3 ·
Yes...The pipe will be exposed to subfreezing temperatures in the winter. I do however plan to drain the pipe in the fall since it as well as the garden hose are not used other than the summer months when we have plants/flowers.

#5 ·
I think b/c the cost of copper these days is at a premium, I may choose PVC. Plus I want this weekend project to not cost that much.

I will run PVC pipe up through the ceiling and out under a wooden deck that sits on top of the garage roof. I will need to use some elbows and fittings to positioned the outlet in the corner and out of the way. From there I can install a standard garden hose valve.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.