Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-05-2006, 10:07 AM   #1

Share |

Water pipe selection???

I have a balcony/patio on top of my garage. I would like to install a water spigot up on the balcony to allow for a small hand sprayer to water the plants. I was thinking of tapping into the normal garden hose spigot inside the garage and running some pipe up through the ceiling out into the corner of the balcony. At that point, I could simply put a garden hose connection after a on/off valve.

My question is what material pipe should I use...copper, PVC, steel? I was thinking of using either copper or PVC to keep it simple for joning pieces and connecting elbows or fittings. After drilling through the ceiling, I would seal the hole around the pipe with a generous amount of silicone caulk.

If you have any suggestions on material selection, or creative ideas on the process, I am all ears.

Thanks in advance.

DK75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 10:09 AM   #2

Water pipe selection???

Do you live in an area that the pipe will freeze?

redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 10:14 AM   #3

Water pipe selection???

Yes...The pipe will be exposed to subfreezing temperatures in the winter. I do however plan to drain the pipe in the fall since it as well as the garden hose are not used other than the summer months when we have plants/flowers.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:44 PM   #4

Water pipe selection???

I would prefer copper. Just be aware that the cost of copper has skyrocketed since last year. PVC would work and is cheaper.
redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 12:58 PM   #5

Water pipe selection???

I think b/c the cost of copper these days is at a premium, I may choose PVC. Plus I want this weekend project to not cost that much.

I will run PVC pipe up through the ceiling and out under a wooden deck that sits on top of the garage roof. I will need to use some elbows and fittings to positioned the outlet in the corner and out of the way. From there I can install a standard garden hose valve.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:09 PM   #6
renovations

Water pipe selection???

My 2 cents: Make sure that the pipe will drain clear when you shut her down for the winter, PVC doesn't take much freezing, so it will have to be completely empty.

Bonus is offline   Reply With Quote