Water Pipe Hangers - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-25-2013, 11:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 141

water pipe hangers

hi folks,

I'm wondering if using the copper hangers that look like pieces from a coat hanger is the best method to secure water pipes to a joist. The reason I ask is my pipes are very loud when turning the water on and off and I'd like to get them secured better to try and eliminate the noise and prevent any solder joints from leaking from the rattling around.

I snapped a photo of my setup:

thanks,

Andrew

Advertisement

Last edited by andrewjs18; 12-25-2013 at 11:13 PM.
andrewjs18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 11:35 PM   #2
Plumber & Gasfitter

Rewards Points: 77

water pipe hangers

Hangers are fine. Sounds like you are experiencing water hammer, and you should be looking into water hammer arrestors.

Advertisement

joeplumber85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 11:38 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

water pipe hangers

Those hangers have been used for years in the trade to secure copper lines and work well. Your banging pipes are likely a result of water hammer. Do you know if you have any water hammer arresters or air chambers installed in your system; Especially around fast closing solenoid valves such as your washing machine or dishwasher?
dannyoung85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 12:20 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,746

water pipe hangers

Not my choice for hanging. I always ran my water tight to the joist using wrap around plastic hangers.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 11:23 AM   #5

water pipe hangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyoung85 View Post
Those hangers have been used for years in the trade to secure copper lines and work well. Your banging pipes are likely a result of water hammer. Do you know if you have any water hammer arresters or air chambers installed in your system; Especially around fast closing solenoid valves such as your washing machine or dishwasher?
I seriously doubt there are any water hammer arresters installed on my system. I had to look up what they even look like and I'm pretty confident in saying that I do not have any in my house whatsoever.

that aside, is it a bad idea to pick up some more of those copper hangers to help secure the pipe better? in spots, the line goes for a decent span without any hangers.
Old 12-26-2013, 11:31 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,746

water pipe hangers

First you need to find out what your house water pressure is. If over 80 LBS you will need a pressure reducing valve. Secondly a water hammer arrestor on your washer hook ups and it would also help to not have copper hanging loose in that type of hanger. I'm looking at your picture and that looks like rust on them hangers.

As a plumber I was taught that that hanger was for gas line only.

I would get this hanger they hold the pipe securely...

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/hangers.html

Last edited by Ghostmaker; 12-26-2013 at 11:41 AM.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 11:50 AM   #7

water pipe hangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostmaker View Post
First you need to find out what your house water pressure is. If over 80 LBS you will need a pressure reducing valve. Secondly a water hammer arrestor on your washer hook ups and it would also help to not have copper hanging loose in that type of hanger. I'm looking at your picture and that looks like rust on them hangers.

As a plumber I was taught that that hanger was for gas line only.

I would get this hanger they hold the pipe securely...

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/hangers.html
that can be seen on the meter that's attached to the incoming water line, correct?

also, I noticed the water noise happens whenever the water is in use, whether it be for the washer, faucets, dishwasher, shower, toilets, etc., but I definitely notice it more often when the faucets are turned on/off since they're used more often.

when I get home from work tonight, I'll try to take a short video of what I hear in my basement when my wife turns the water on and then off.
Old 12-26-2013, 11:26 PM   #8

water pipe hangers

hi folks,

here's 2 short clips where I had my wife turn the faucet on and off in our kitchen:

http://andrewshemo.com/My%20Movie.mp4
http://andrewshemo.com/My%20Movie2.mp4
Old 12-27-2013, 09:02 AM   #9

water pipe hangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by audrycampbell View Post
I think the first and most important thing is accurately be aware of the actual thickness of the wall you are hanging the pipe from and the other thing is spacing between size of your pipe and size of your pipe hangers. I think in your case the distance is large. This is the reason of the loudness in the pipe.
the pipe is hung from thicker floor joists.

that said, there does seem to be some longer spans without any hangers and then in the 2nd video I posted above, there's no hanger on that section of pipe at all.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:32 AM   #10
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,638

water pipe hangers

As mentioned- get a pressure gauge and confirm water pressure is below 80 psi. If above 80psi a pressure reducing valve should be installed

bridge between your joist and pipes with a wood blocking and install these pipe anchors (or similar) at max. 6ft spacing. http://www.homedepot.com/p/SharkBite...ipe%252Bclamp#
Old 12-27-2013, 09:54 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 790

water pipe hangers

My pipes make some noise just from water flowing. I think it is cavitation in short 90s.
Old 12-27-2013, 10:07 AM   #12
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,648

water pipe hangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoleCat View Post
My pipes make some noise just from water flowing. I think it is cavitation in short 90s.
The most common cause of that noise is a lazy plumber not de-burring the inside of all the pipes.

My house 'used' to have a gate valve at the front as the main cut off. The pipe enters the house right by the kitchen sink. If 'any' water was flowing, you could always hear it. About 5 years ago I replaced the gate valve with a real ball valve. As I was taking everything apart I noticed a pretty good ridged on the inside created when you use a typical pipe cutter.

I de-burr my cuts....so once it was all put back together.....NO noise. Now, it's almost impossible to tell when any water it flowing.

Here is a pic of one of the fittings. Notice the crude inside? That was the gunk that packed up against the pipe fitting because of the big burr.

Advertisement

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote