Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-11-2011, 06:13 PM   #1

Share |
Unhappy

water is orange-brown

we have just fixed the low pressure issue with our well, replaced a leaky drop pipe, new switch, and our pressure is much better, but, we turned our water back on more than 12 hours ago, and our water is still orangey, browny, eeewwww, could it be that our drop pipe is too far toward the bottom of the well? We have a 140' well, surface of water is 120' in, and our drop pipe is 130' feet in not counting the length of the pump. We are running a 1 1/2 horsepower submersible pump

oldhag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 06:42 PM   #2
Water Treatment

water is orange-brown

How long have you run the water?
How many gallons per minute has it been run at?
Can the out side hose be left on to fill a 5 gallon bucket in 1-2 minutes for say 12 hours?

Akpsdvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:14 PM   #3

water is orange-brown

the pressure is good enough now to yes fill a 5 gallon bucket in 1 or two mins. I tried to use the washing machine, but it clogged the screens, quickly, so I thought I should let the water "settle out" befor trying again.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:52 PM   #4
Water Treatment

water is orange-brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhag View Post
the pressure is good enough now to yes fill a 5 gallon bucket in 1 or two mins. I tried to use the washing machine, but it clogged the screens, quickly, so I thought I should let the water "settle out" befor trying again.
Is there an outside hose that you could just run for up to 12 hours at that speed?
It is either that or taking the next few weeks to clear things up.
Akpsdvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:14 AM   #5

water is orange-brown

huh? really? dang, I thought that it would just "settle out", but yeah, I can do that, at this point I would probably hold the hose for 12 hours, just so I can be "normal" again! thanks again for the input, and I will get back to ya", I have confidence that it"ll be more better soon, thanks to you and this site!
Old 07-12-2011, 07:07 AM   #6

water is orange-brown

I would expect this orange water not to last for too long, unless for some reason there was a continuous supply of sediment getting into the well (and undermining the ground in the vicinity of the well).

Can the pump be raised up two or three inches by tugging on the line from above and then refastening in place? And not make the well seem to run dry? This might make all the difference in stopping the picking up of sediment by the pump. Run the water for a few more hours after doing this to prove whether this caused significant improvement.

You should not have run the washing machine. A load of clothing could have been stained by the brown water.