Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-07-2011, 10:09 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Water is not working

Well, as the title says the water in my house is not working. I woke up this morning at 5:30 and there is no water in the house. I tried all the faucets and nothing. I figure a pipe must have froze since it was only in the teens here last night. I went outside to check the water main at the street, and my sprinklers are on! Now normaly my sprinklers would be off at this time of year, but the electric company changed out my meter the other day and it must have screwed up my timmer. Anyways, I turned of the sprinklers and went and checked the water main at the street. The main did not appear to be frozen/leaking, and the counter was not moving(I had two faucets in the house turned on). There is a box in the ground by my sprinkler valves on the side of the house with a pipe in it that has a valve(could this be the main line to the house and the shutoff). The pipe is insulated but the valve is not. The pipe and valve did not appear to be frozen/leaking either. There are no leaks in the house, and I can see no signs of a leak/break in the yard between the main at the street and the house. Any ideas what could be the issue, and why the sprinklers would work but no water in the house?

A little background info. I live in the High Desert of So Cal. My house is on a slab foundation. I had this issue a few times last year, and once the other day. I cant recall if the sprinklers were working the other times I had this issue. All the other times I had this problem the water started working on its own after a few hours, usually by 8 to 10 am. I cant find any other exposed pipes that may have froze.

Rc51Twin01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:50 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Water is not working

Insulate the pipe AND the valve on the side of the house...

Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:54 AM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,128

Water is not working

Call the water utility.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:15 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Water is not working

Well here it is, 9:15 and the water is working now. Still have no idea how my sprinklers can have water, but the house doesnt, makes no sense to me.
Rc51Twin01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:43 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

Water is not working

I had a friend in high school, and his dad was a plumber.

He was a guy that didn't feel much like following rules.

Having said that, he installed his garden hose somehow off the main before it went to the meter. He used the hose to fill their pool, wash cars, water lawns... you name it.

Free water I guess, but the Karma train rolls.

Anyway, I don't know if you installed the sprinkler system yourself, but if it was done by a previous owner like my buddies dad did it, if something was frozen past that connection, it probably would not stop your sprinklers from working.

Just a thought.
oldhouseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:07 PM   #6

Water is not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rc51Twin01 View Post
Well here it is, 9:15 and the water is working now. Still have no idea how my sprinklers can have water, but the house doesnt, makes no sense to me.
The ground is warmer than the air. Pipes underground don't freeze. When a pipe comes above ground and then goes into the side of your house, that portion of the pipe can freeze, especially if PART of it is exposed like the VALVE. Insulate the valve too!

The sprinklers would get their water from the underground pipes which would be before the frozen pipe going into your house.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:13 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 75

Water is not working

12 inches is freezing level for WA so sprinklers are deeper then freezing level
plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:15 PM   #8

Water is not working

OP said location is Southern California