Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-24-2012, 10:43 PM   #1

Share |

water meter questions

Hi I recently replaced my main water line from galvanized to copper all 3/4 from the street to the house . Going to the water meter is 3/4 but at the elbow is 1/2 in feed and same thing 1/2 out feed to 3/4 copper . Now is the reduction there for a purpose or my water meter is outdated ? If it is outdated ? Can I call City water have them replaced without the reduction and meter? or I can do it myself ? n.j Lawrence

joedirt2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 03:58 AM   #2
paper hanger and painter

water meter questions

painting?

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:03 AM   #3
JOATMON

water meter questions

1/2" Does seem a bit small.....how many people in the house? How big is the house? If your the only one....you should have enough flow....but for a family? I would think you would be hard pressed to get proper water flow. I don't think 1/2" would fly under current code.

Did you pull a permit to replace that pipe? If not....I doubt they will help you.....I would assume that if you did pull a pipe...most building and safety offices would have looked at your service and sais "Oh, and we need to update your meter".....

Good luck....let us know how it turns out.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:06 AM   #4
JOATMON

water meter questions

deleted due to brain fart...

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 11:21 AM   #5

water meter questions

yes I did pull permit for water main replacement and the plumber who did the work recommended that i replace the water meter .House is two story colonial style .My quesions still remain ? do i call water company have them come out and replace the water meter to current standards or i can do it myself?
Old 08-25-2012, 11:50 AM   #6

water meter questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedirt2012 View Post
yes I did pull permit for water main replacement and the plumber who did the work recommended that i replace the water meter .House is two story colonial style .My quesions still remain ? do i call water company have them come out and replace the water meter to current standards or i can do it myself?
Water meters are not always the same size as the service.
Call the water company with your concerns. They own the meter and I doubt someone will sell you one. In my area, they are purchased through certain suppliers that meet the dept. specifications, or the water debt. supplies it
joedirt2012 (08-25-2012)
Old 08-25-2012, 02:43 PM   #7

water meter questions

Most water companies have a basic monthly charge or a minimum charge depending on the size of the meter. Added to that is the charge per hundred cubic feet for the water itself, plus environmental charges, taxes, delivery/transmission charges, etc.

For example if you now have a 1/2 inch water service and they replace the meter and/or fittings to be 3/4 inch then you will have a 3/4 inch service which will increase your water bill. If you ran a 3/4 inch line but the meter is still 1/2 inch then you you will still have a 1/2 inch service.
Old 08-25-2012, 03:47 PM   #8

water meter questions

Water meters are owned by the city or municipality. You own the water main. You cannot change the water meter on your own. It is illegal. You need to call your water utility and ask them to replace it for you. Most residential water meters are 3/4". Was your existing water main 1/2 or 3/4" galvanized steel pipe? Is there a reducer from 3/4 to 1/2 on your side of the meter?
wassermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:18 PM   #9

water meter questions

ok now this make sense .Now do i just call them and tell them i want the meter and fittings replaced and are they gonna charge me if so how much in the ball park . Cause even though I replaced the main the water pressure still is not where i wanted to be , and if I go with 3/4 on both sides of the meter will they increase the pressure ?
Old 08-25-2012, 10:17 PM   #10

water meter questions

You need to call them. They are usually nice people and tell you what it would cost if anything. They also know the type of meter you have and can tell you whether it needs to get upgraded to accomplish your goal. Just call them.

As for water pressure - have you replaced water lines in your house, too? If not you will not see a lot of increase in water pressure irrespective of the water meter that you have currently installed.

You should have a 3/4" cold water line (interior diameter) running all the way to your water meter. Once you are at the water meter you may be able to reduce to 1/2" depending on the number of faucets, etc. that you still need to supply.

wassermeister is offline   Reply With Quote