Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-27-2012, 12:20 AM   #1

Share |
Exclamation

Water meter on neighbor's property / hearing water running

So i have 2 issues. The first being that my water meeter is on our neighbor's property. Basically the main runs from the meter under the neighbors driveway, under the property line, then under my driveway, and finally it reaches the outside of the front of the house where i have a shutoff valve, a hose bib, and then continues into the house.
My main question is it legal? The house was built in 66 and is in california. I am also in the process ov remodeling the house by owner-builer, yes i am a licensed general conteractor
When i called the water company they wanted to charge me a few thousand dollars for moving the meter on my property.

Next strange ocurance is that i hear water running through the pipes when everything is off. That includes the revrigerator and the toilets. And it only happens during specific times like 9—10 pm. I know for a fact that its a large volume of water by looking at the water meter spin. Its about the equivalent of 1 person taking a shower. Also to note is that i dont have any water sprinklers for the lawn. I am starting to asume that the neighbors may be stealing water since the water meter is on their property. To make matters worse the neighbors property is a rental.

Any thoughts?

Also forgot to mention that i have an instant tankless gas water heter, so i cant be hearing it fill up.

ionbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:09 AM   #2
DIY staff

you are suggesting that your meter is feeding your neighbors house?

Call the water company to verify that that is your meter.

Next--turn off the meter when it's spinnig wildly----see if someone comes out of your neighbors house with soap in his hair.

Old 08-27-2012, 04:40 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
you are suggesting that your meter is feeding your neighbors house?

Call the water company to verify that that is your meter.

Next--turn off the meter when it's spinnig wildly----see if someone comes out of your neighbors house with soap in his hair.
It might be a posability. I also know for sure that my water meter is on my neighbors property, i have tested it and it shuts off the water to my house.
I have tried calling the water company in order to move the meter on my property but they want to charge me.
ionbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:46 AM   #4
DIY staff

You may have an underground leak----I suggest you turn off the meter when you are not home.

Get a plumber out there to do a pressure test and verify.

If you come home and find the meter back on you will also know that someone missed your free water.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:12 AM   #5

I don't know your situation or the laws at all, and my story is a few years old... so take this with a grain of salt.

I had a friend who was in a bit of a predicament with regard to water supply. She had a house where her well feeds the neighbor's house. Her house is vacant and she wanted to shut off all utilities to her property. That would have effectively cut off the neighbors water supply because there would be no power to feed the water pump. I believe that in the end, it was deemed unlawful for her to kill power to her vacant home because it would cut someone else's water supply.

This may or may not apply in your situation, but it might be something to consider before you potentially shut off water supply to your neighbors.

I would definitely have the water company and/or a plumber come out and investigate the issue.
BShow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:24 AM   #6

The water company should have on record where the lines were ran.
I'd also concider calling Miss Utility or what ever it's called in your area to mark the lines. They should be able to trace any lines running over to that house.
Totaly differant to have two homes on the same well, and having a public water supply.
Where is there water meter?
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:33 AM   #7

It is not unheard of for a water meter to be on someone else's property. The water company has an easement against the property for the running of the water lines.

You may inspect your meter at any time, taking advantage of the utility easement.

Tapping into someone else's water line without permission makes for an illegal connection and the water company can be expected to remove that tap forthwith upon notice.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:45 AM   #8

Are you sure it's your meter the neighbor maybe tapped into- or could it be the other way - you're tapped into the neighbors?

Please nominate your favorite project!!

TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote