Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-21-2013, 07:46 PM   #1

Share |

Water meter fittings leaking

I've got a tiny leak at the house side fitting on my water meter. Are these short copper connections standard parts I can buy at the hardware store and simply screw off/on to replace?
Attached Thumbnails
Water meter fittings leaking-image-1907281970.jpg  

randlefactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:56 PM   #2

No, I believe those are special thread. You need water meter washers on both sides. I have gotten hose washers to work but it was difficult. Personally I would call the water company and tell them their meter is leaking. Tell them both sides are leaking.

paintdrying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:09 PM   #3
Retired Army Veteran

I had the same problem, but in my case, both ends were leaking pretty bad.

I thought the same thing that pipes would have to be replaced etc. so I hired a pro.

He told me that I could have easily done it. He replaced both washers. In my case there wasn't even any washer left to take out. Done. no leaks

Those unions come apart and new washers have to be inserted.

Your washers are wearing out. Probably a good idea while you got everything turned off to replace both of them. You'll be good to go for awhile.

I don't know if your hiring a pro or your going to do it yourself. You'll need to; turn off water. It looks like from the picture you need two 3/4 or 1in washers. Available at any hardware or local plumbing supply store. Two big slip pliers or you can use wrenches. One to hold water meter one to unloosen the union. Do 1 at a time if your doing it yourself. If you have a helper you can do it all at once. The water meter is a little heavy. It helps if you have someone hold the water meter while you are tightening.

Let us know how you made out.

Last edited by jmon; 02-21-2013 at 08:20 PM.
jmon is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jmon For This Useful Post:
randlefactor (02-21-2013)
Old 02-21-2013, 08:17 PM   #4
Retired Army Veteran

In my case, I did have the village water department come out. They told me I was responsible for the leaks. They are responsible from the water main to my outside shutoff. I am responsible from outside shutoff to house.

Paintdrying makes a good point though try that first. Every municipality is different. They may come out and do it for you at no cost, as long as your a taxpayer. Your paying their wages anyway.

I would get it fixed regardless even if you have to pay, because your paying for that water that's going through the meter and then leaking out on the house side of meter.

Last edited by jmon; 02-21-2013 at 08:25 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmon
In my case, I did have the village water department come out. They told me I was responsible for the leaks. They are responsible from the water main to my outside shutoff. I am responsible from outside shutoff to house.

Paintdrying makes a good point though try that first. Every municipality is different. They may come out and do it for you at no cost, as long as your a taxpayer. Your paying their wages anyway.
... But if they come into my basement they will see where my sump pump is connected to Rerouting that is a summer project
Old 02-21-2013, 08:44 PM   #6

The Cleveland water department is a total disaster. Most of the guys that work for the water department are very helpful. I would fight with your water department, tell them both sides are leaking and you want it fixed now. If they come out and fix one side, I would call them back and tell them now the other side is leaking, you damaged it. You left me with a leaking meter. I would probably sue them. It seems a bit extreme, but these departments keep files on people. When ever I call somewhere, after they type in my address it always turns into yes sir, no sir, sorry sir. That is the way it should be.
paintdrying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:42 PM   #7
Retired Army Veteran

Can you put up a piece of plywood to try and hide it for the time being?

Is it really close to the water meter?
Old 02-21-2013, 10:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmon
Can you put up a piece of plywood to try and hide it for the time being?

Is it really close to the water meter?
Ya you have to lean over the sump basin to get to the water meter... And the sump line goes straight up 3 ft and y's into the sewer line.
I'll just check the hw store and replace the washers myself.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:35 PM   #9
Retired Army Veteran

Roger that randlefactor. Yah, there to close together to try and hide.

Let us know how it works out for you, or if you need more guidance.

Just make sure when you do it, you take out the old washers first, if there is anything left to them. In my case they were totally gone. Then put in the new ones.

Last edited by jmon; 02-21-2013 at 10:41 PM.