Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-18-2013, 10:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,018

Water Main Valve

Has anyone ever tried to change the shutoff valve for a basement bathroom toilet and had issues shutting off the water main? This seems a bit more worrisome since it's probably the the lowest shutoff valve in the house.

Does anyone know how much a pro charges to replace a water main shutoff valve or even install two?

Do pros use the propress method for water mains valves?

handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:14 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,450

Water Main Valve

Quote:
Originally Posted by handy man88 View Post
Has anyone ever tried to change the shutoff valve for a basement bathroom toilet and had issues shutting off the water main? This seems a bit more worrisome since it's probably the the lowest shutoff valve in the house.

Does anyone know how much a pro charges to replace a water main shutoff valve or even install two?

Do pros use the propress method for water mains valves?
Yes, I've replaced a few in my time. You might try shutting off the water at the meter, then replacing the problem valve.

Pro's prices will vary by local. Call around to get a feel for what they charge

Some pro's do use propress, but few do in my area. It's a matter of preference.

plummen (08-19-2013)
Old 08-19-2013, 12:46 AM   #3
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors
Rewards Points: 2,010

Water Main Valve

Do you have a picture of the shut offs on each side of meter?
Old 08-19-2013, 08:15 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,498

Water Main Valve

Your first valve in the house is usually a flare type valve. Then after your water meter you have a secondary valve.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ghostmaker For This Useful Post:
plummen (08-19-2013)
Old 08-19-2013, 10:27 PM   #5

Water Main Valve

My water meter is out on the street. I'm pretty sure I have a gate valve as the main valve.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:38 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

Water Main Valve

Gate valves can be def trouble especially old ones, usually what happens is from not using them they seize up and have to put alot of pressure to get them to turn. The outcome to that is that the shaft breaks and renders the valve useless so be very careful, always shut down at the meter cut out the old valve and replace with a full port ball valve. Depending if its copper or glavanized will depend how to replace and adapt.
Peppe1019 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Peppe1019 For This Useful Post:
plummen (08-20-2013)
Old 08-19-2013, 10:45 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,340

Water Main Valve

Neighbor called me over to fix a old downstairs shower, due to it was basically leaking five gallons of water an hour. Tried to turn off the house shut-off, could not, and since she has one of the few homes in the neighborhood that still has the meter inside with the main shut-off, went to turn that, and a little bit of water started to leak as I was turning it. Stopped when I closed it all the way, and when I opened it, it stopped.

Told her that it really needs to be attended to, due to one of these times, when someone goes to shut off the water, it will turn into a geyser.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:51 PM   #8

Water Main Valve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peppe1019 View Post
Gate valves can be def trouble especially old ones, usually what happens is from not using them they seize up and have to put alot of pressure to get them to turn. The outcome to that is that the shaft breaks and renders the valve useless so be very careful, always shut down at the meter cut out the old valve and replace with a full port ball valve. Depending if its copper or glavanized will depend how to replace and adapt.
I had to change a toilet supply valve about 2 months ago and ended up replacing the shut off valve also. This toilet was on the 2nd floor of the house. Thus, I had to shut off the main.

The last time the main was shut off was when my water heater was replaced late 2011 and after the plumber was done, he turned the valve all the way open. When I went to shut it off for the toilet, it took quite a few turns, but did shut off.

Just thinking down the line when I will want to put in two shutoff valves. Is this overkill? I may want to do this before I attempt to replace the toilet fill valve in my basement, just in case I have issues with that toilet shut off valve also, although it isn't as old as the one I recently replaced.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:57 PM   #9

Water Main Valve

Quote:
I had to change a toilet supply valve about 2 months ago and ended up replacing the shut off valve also. This toilet was on the 2nd floor of the house. Thus, I had to shut off the main.

The last time the main was shut off was when my water heater was replaced late 2011 and after the plumber was done, he turned the valve all the way open. When I went to shut it off for the toilet, it took quite a few turns, but did shut off.

Just thinking down the line when I will want to put in two shutoff valves. Is this overkill? I may want to do this before I attempt to replace the toilet fill valve in my basement, just in case I have issues with that toilet shut off valve also, although it isn't as old as the one I recently replaced.

Its def not overkill there are always two valves on every meter application one before and one after. I would definitely replace them because from what your describing it might be the next time you go to use it that valve is going to seize. Put some new ball valves in and you wont have to worry again.. Its always good to prevent before on any plumbing system your assumptions and train of thought are correct..
The Following User Says Thank You to Peppe1019 For This Useful Post:
plummen (08-20-2013)
Old 08-19-2013, 11:02 PM   #10

Water Main Valve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peppe1019 View Post
Its def not overkill there are always two valves on every meter application one before and one after. I would definitely replace them because from what your describing it might be the next time you go to use it that valve is going to seize. Put some new ball valves in and you wont have to worry again.. Its always good to prevent before on any plumbing system your assumptions and train of thought are correct..
that is interesting that the code would allow a shut off valve before the meter. Someone could easily put in a Tee right before the meter with two more shut offs and reroute the water to avoid the meter, thus avoiding or lowering a water bill.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:08 PM   #11

Water Main Valve

Quote:
that is interesting that the code would allow a shut off valve before the meter. Someone could easily put in a Tee right before the meter with two more shut offs and reroute the water to avoid the meter, thus avoiding or lowering a water bill.
Yes thats def true but you can still do that by accessing the curb valve.also someone not familiar with plumbing systems,which the typical ho isnt would never think or prob attempt to do such work.. Im in nj maybe in your state the code might be different the reason for the two valves is to isolate the meter which makes it easy for the water company to replace the current meter if any issues arise. Water companies today are smart and log all of your monthly usage if they see your usage drops dramatically they will be paying you a visit..

Last edited by Peppe1019; 08-19-2013 at 11:11 PM.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:22 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,450

Water Main Valve

Quote:
Parts of our town have the meters in the house. the city limits the length of the service entrance in the basement just for this reason.
In fact, some place on here is a picture of a meter with a hose bib on the street side of the meter....
Old 08-19-2013, 11:37 PM   #13
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,340

Water Main Valve

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
Parts of our town have the meters in the house. the city limits the length of the service entrance in the basement just for this reason.
In fact, some place on here is a picture of a meter with a hose bib on the street side of the meter....
You mean this one from last week.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:39 PM   #14

Water Main Valve

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
You mean this one from last week.

lol...how much could someone save if they had to fill a regular sized swimming pool?
Old 08-20-2013, 11:42 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 574

Water Main Valve

My mother's house had a water supply with a gate valve before the meter, only. 1960 house, and the valve is surely original. Last time I had to shut it off, I added a ball valve after the meter. I was praying that when I shut off the gate valve, it would be tight enough to give me the time to solder in the ball valve. Ball valve soldered in fine. I will never touch that old gate valve again.

SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote