Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-26-2006, 02:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

water main into new home basement

Hello. I have poured a basement for our new house and have a question regarding the water line entrance. I set a 2" sched. 40 piece through the form so it is set in place when the wall was poured. At the time, obviously, I planned on using 2" PVC for the water main. I have to to find that in nearly all the new homes within the township have 1"CTS HDPE running up into the home from the city utility. I spoke with the man who does the trenching and laying in, and he told me that if I wanted to use the 2" that was no problem. I am just wondering which would be better given that I have about 60' to run and about a 40% uphill grade. The property, by the way, has two other family members on it, one uphill from the city meter and one downhill. Both of them have really great pressure, and the one uphill has 2" PVC running into its basement. I would appreciate any feedback.

Jim

jcbays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 05:49 PM   #2
Journeyman Plumber

Code will dictate whay size is needed, 2" into the house sounds extreme, 1" sounds right to me, once again check the code used where your located.

Ron The Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 07:01 PM   #3

If you installed 2" PVC into the foundation, I would be a little worried about running a 2" water line. Normally, the line is run through a "sleeve" that is the next pipe size up that would allow the water line to go through it. Connecting the same size line to a piece of pipe that is embedded in concrete could cause breakage later when the foundation moves. The water line is then sealed between the water line and sleeve to prevent leakage through the sleeve. I also think a 2" water supply line is excessive especially if it is being supplied by a 1" service line. Just an opinion.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:02 PM   #4
World famous jerk.

Even if you run a 2", the city will most likely not give you a 2" tapping unless you have a good reason or pay some bucks. You'll likely get a 1" tapping anyhow.
mdshunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 12:43 PM   #5

Thanks guys. I actually wanted to use the 1" HDPE and had decided on that about a month ago. The debate started when my father in law explained how unreliable the material was based on an break at his mother's house. He built his house, where we are living while building, and has been a great help to us. There are times though..... I told him that this 1" was what the township water company installer puts in all new homes. I am going to go and get a roll of this stuff tomorrow morning. Rest assured, I will have more topics for discussion! I appreciate the feed back.

Oh my building dept. people know me pretty well and they pretty much echoed what you all were saying. Thanks,

Jim

I will get some pics of the house for you
jcbays is offline   Reply With Quote