Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-13-2013, 05:02 PM   #1

Share |

water main coming into the house?

I've ben trying to locate where the water main comes into my house this weekend as I'd like to add a water spigot to the front yard. I know where my meter is and I figure a straight line to the house would be the general routing.

The house was built in the early 60s and is on a slab. I have no clue if I have a main shutoff valve inside the house as I've never located one and I've done a fair amount of work that would make me think I would have found it in the past 10 years. The water comes into the house and is all routed in an interior wall, this makes adding a spigot through the wall to the outside impossible.

While digging the area I thought I would find the line I did find the drain line from the house where I suspected it to be about 3-3 1/2 feet down. Now for the real question, would the water line be at the same depth as the drain line coming from the house or would I need to dig deeper?

I've called to have the utility lines marked in the past and no matter how much I ask, I cannot get them to mark the location o the main water line coming into the house. So right now I'm at somewhat of a loss unless I dig a moat 6 feet deep across the entire front of my house. Not really an option I would like to do.

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to give plenty of information as I know water line depth depends on frost line depth. Just not sure if the drain has to be as deep or not.

USNrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:17 PM   #2
Water Treatment

I would ask the city who pays for the replacement of the water line to your house?
As in from what point does it go from city to you to pay for repairs of the line?
If it is them from the street to your house then ask if they would like to replace it because you are going to dig til you find it.
Either way if you cut the line they are going to have to sanitize the system because you have opened it up..some how I do not think they would like to have to deal with that.
The meter that you take about, is it just a reader or is it the whole meter assembly ?

Akpsdvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:43 PM   #3

As far as I know the city/water company is only responsible up to the meter at the street. That is the meter I'm talking about that I know where it is. Forgive my ignorance on this but why would they need to sanitize the system if I add a T fitting and install a spigot for a garden hose? The way I see it, I'm basically doing the same thing I did a few years ago when I had to redo the tub shutoff valves when I installed a new tub faucet. I'm only doing the work just outside of the house instead of inside of it. After installing the spigot I'd run water through the system for a few minutes to get any residual stuff out, but its not like I'll be cramming dirt into the pipe while I work on it.
USNrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:15 PM   #4

The sewer is usually the lowest utility. When we dig Miss Dig will locate all utilities except water, The water dept locates the water lines in Michigan
plumberinlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:23 PM   #5

As mentioned- locate companies won't locate water on your property because it's yours and not a utlity companies
Lines in my area are required 4ft bury depth and I have seen them above or below the sewer lateral. Call your water company and ask them what your bury depth is.
You might also consider divining rods to locate it- I found several lines that way
Old 04-13-2013, 09:29 PM   #6

Call 811. They will come mark it out.
jsbuilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:44 AM   #7

just pop the city cover and work that it's not against the law..add a full open ball valve before the meter inside and do your spigot work.there has to be a house shut off buried just into the house opposite your meter how did it pass inspection on the buy
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:24 AM   #8
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors

If you talk nice when you call for your locates they will locate private lines,around here anyway.
Definitely get locates before you start digging.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:48 AM   #9

I'm just a newbie USNrider but if you are in Virginia Beach I think your frost line is less than a foot down. Seems like your water line shouldn't be buried very deep?

But as I say I'm a newbie and might just be flat out wrong. (Maybe they always bury them deeper for other reasons?)
agoodboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 03:53 PM   #10
Plumber

Call a private locating service.
They will have the tools to locate it.
DidIDoThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:22 PM   #11
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
As mentioned- locate companies won't locate water on your property because it's yours and not a utlity companies
Lines in my area are required 4ft bury depth and I have seen them above or below the sewer lateral. Call your water company and ask them what your bury depth is.
You might also consider divining rods to locate it- I found several lines that way
Our city, they locate everything (Power, Gas, Sewer, Water, CATV, Telco), for J.U.L.I.E.. Of course, all I have to do is stand at my meter and draw an imaginary line from there to my house, and can find the line all the way to where it enters.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:04 AM   #12

I wouldn't install a tee in the main water line, I would figure out another way to do the spigot. Around here there's no splices or joints between the meter and the house. Don't want any joints that could cause a problem.

gregzoll (04-15-2013), oh'mike (04-15-2013)