Water Lines To Tub,washer,sink,and Toilet - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-19-2011, 02:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Water lines to tub,washer,sink,and toilet

I am adding the equivalent of a full bath plus washer and dryer to a garage area. Should I run 3/4" water line or will 1/2" Pex work for that?

Advertisement

ArtBraendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 05:17 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 296

If done with copper, you have to protect it from cement as copper & cement react and it's not a good thing.

Otherwise it's pretty easy. The reason there's rules to what you can use with copper is that copper degrades rapidly once water flows through it at a certain velocity which I think is 8 feet per minute it may be 15. Beyond that the water is flowing so fast through the pipe it starts to tear at the pipe and it doesn't last long so 1/2" pipe typically can supply 2 fixtures. 3/4" copper pipe can supply the needs to 4 fixtures (because it's volume is twice that of 1/2"). So you'd run 3/4" pipe to the bathroom and once at the bathroom tee off to 1/2" pipe with one run feeding 2 fixtures and the other run feeds the other 2 fixtures.

As for pex, I don't know if the rules apply or how fast water FPM can flow through it and not damage it.

Advertisement

Last edited by Piedmont; 04-19-2011 at 05:25 PM.
Piedmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 05:22 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

1/2" pex is not equivilent to 1/2" copper. The inside diameter of 1/2" copper is actually more duplicated with 3/4" pex.
wease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 05:37 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 296

Good point, I wonder if PEX suffers wear & tear at high velocities like copper, and can they get away with 3/4" PEX. I personally would go bigger than 3/4" PEX or at least 3/4" copper even if it's okay because of the washing machine. They typically have fast solenoid valves which instantly stops the water flowing to them. You take water flowing at high velocity and shut the valve off instantly and BANG... waterhammer as water can't stop on a dime (along with a lot of wear & tear on the piping). Make sure you put water hammer preventers on the lines near the washing machine (closer is better) and I like the ones that screw in as they don't last forever. Or, get a washing machine with a slow closing solenoid. Whatever you do, don't try to create the homemade water hammer preventer (extra piping with a cap that's "supposed" to hold air. It doesn't last long).

Last edited by Piedmont; 04-19-2011 at 05:43 PM.
Piedmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 02:55 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Hey thanks everyone for your input. I learned a lot from all the posts. I will run with 3/4 Pex till I get where it splits off to just two appliances, the sink and washer. I can run 1/2 inch from there.
ArtBraendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:41 AM   #6
Plumb or Die!

Rewards Points: 250

Perfect.

Advertisement

plumber666 is offline   Reply With Quote