Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-18-2009, 05:14 PM   #1
Member
 
toolbelt Tina's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 125
Share |
Default

water lines on slab


I have cpvc water lines on slab constrction in an upstate NY cottage.
There will be periods of freezing without any heat.

I was planning on adding fittings to the start of the run to blow out the lines with my 8 gallon compressor. I do my own irrigation lines (although it takes a few shots due to the small sized compressor .)

i was wondering how cold it would get at the level of the slab?

I have placed pipe insulation on the 3/4 lines. Should I put rigid foam under the pipe as well?

There is some slope to the lines. There are no pipes in the outside walls.
Should I insulate the inside walls where the 1/2 lines are supplied to the fixtures?

Will I be ok?
toolbelt Tina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:09 AM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 203
Default

water lines on slab


Quote:
Originally Posted by toolbelt Tina View Post
I have cpvc water lines on slab constrction in an upstate NY cottage.
There will be periods of freezing without any heat.

I was planning on adding fittings to the start of the run to blow out the lines with my 8 gallon compressor. I do my own irrigation lines (although it takes a few shots due to the small sized compressor .)

i was wondering how cold it would get at the level of the slab?

I have placed pipe insulation on the 3/4 lines. Should I put rigid foam under the pipe as well?

There is some slope to the lines. There are no pipes in the outside walls.
Should I insulate the inside walls where the 1/2 lines are supplied to the fixtures?

Will I be ok?
If the temps will be below freezing the best thing you can do is get all the water out of the lines. It will be colder down on the slab than it will above it. If I remember right it gets pretty darn cold in upstate new york. You might consider putting some water pipe anti freeze in the lines(non Toxic) available at most of your rv supply stores. I am assuming of course that you won't be living there during that time and that you are winterizing the cottage for the winter. you can also use that anti freeze in your toilet tank and bowl and sink traps. get an anti freeze that is rated to at least -50 zero farenheit.
al's sewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 07:32 AM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 719
Default

water lines on slab


Totally agree with Al, I would get a 5 gallon bucket with a pump and use RV antifreeze and pump it into the lines and open each faucet until it came out and add to traps and toilets like Al said.

Water lines are tricky there could be low points where the water lays and freezes and if you use air it might not be enough pressure to blow all the water out.

With the antifreeze when you see it come out each faucet you know your covered.
SULTINI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 06:29 PM   #4
Member
 
toolbelt Tina's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 125
Default

water lines on slab


thanks for the input; I was aware of antifreeze for the traps and toilet.

The cottage will be used in the winter about once a month but will not be heating it my absence.

I did however heat the utility room so I did not have to empty the hot water tank and pump.

Could I open up the first fixture and blow the air through then close that one and proceed down the line until all fixtures are complete?

Tina
toolbelt Tina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 06:41 AM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 203
Default

water lines on slab


Quote:
Originally Posted by toolbelt Tina View Post
thanks for the input; I was aware of antifreeze for the traps and toilet.

The cottage will be used in the winter about once a month but will not be heating it my absence.

I did however heat the utility room so I did not have to empty the hot water tank and pump.

Could I open up the first fixture and blow the air through then close that one and proceed down the line until all fixtures are complete?

Tina
You might have to do them all several times but even then I wouldn;t guarentee you have gotten all the water out.
al's sewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 02:14 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,463
Default

water lines on slab


Blowing with your compressor might result in compressor oil in your water lines unless you have a really good filter on your air line.

If you're going to use the cottage monthly it might make sense to keep it heated to say 45 -50.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 07:05 PM   #7
Member
 
toolbelt Tina's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 125
Default

water lines on slab


Quote:
Originally Posted by jogr View Post
Blowing with your compressor might result in compressor oil in your water lines unless you have a really good filter on your air line.

If you're going to use the cottage monthly it might make sense to keep it heated to say 45 -50.
electric heat baseboards. It will probably cheaper to fill with the antifreeze.
Thanks for the oil tip never considered that.

I am putting down rigid foam on the slab and then pipe insulation on the water lines. Insulating in between the studs as a precaution. Or will all the extras not matter?
toolbelt Tina is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
hot water check valve? KE2KB Plumbing 7 01-30-2009 01:36 PM
Testing 12 year old hot water expansion tank? DJfixer Plumbing 2 01-01-2009 08:09 AM
plastic water supply lines macwall Plumbing 5 07-04-2008 07:43 AM
Attaching water lines to floor joists handyflyer Plumbing 8 04-30-2007 10:43 AM
Gravity Hot Water Recirculating Loop Questions harleysilo Plumbing 2 02-06-2007 03:28 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.