Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-30-2011, 10:31 AM   #1

Share |

Water Lines in crawl space

I am getting ready to install my kitchen sink and will have to run the water lines under my crawl space between the floor joists. I was going to insulate them with the balck tube stuff as well as fill the joist with insulation. Will this keep it from Freezing, or is there a better way of doing it? Thanks for any help!

cambishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:21 AM   #2

crawl space=heat tape

plumberinlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 12:14 PM   #3
Experienced

Either heat tape or heat the entire crawl space. Personally I would spend the time and effort to insulate the crawl space outer walls and rim joist and heat the whole space, more comfortable floors in the winter time.

But if you don't want to do that then absolutely, heat tape the lines, you should have some kind of indicator as well in the living area that would show you if the heat trace is running or not.

Mark
Old 08-30-2011, 01:25 PM   #4

What kind of heat do you have hot air, hot water, is the crawl space dry or humid is it tight from air leaks? Probably have to ask yourself a few questions before rushing to judgement on this.
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:10 AM   #5

I like the idea of heating the crawl space but it is tied to an original basement, ( it was an addition) so making it air tight would be a hassle and probable never happen no matter how hard I tried. Would a 20 amp breaker run about 30 feet of heat tape?
Old 09-01-2011, 09:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLDIRON View Post
What kind of heat do you have hot air, hot water, is the crawl space dry or humid is it tight from air leaks? Probably have to ask yourself a few questions before rushing to judgement on this.
I'm with you. My water lines (CPVC) are in the crawl space (Eastern panhandle of WV) and I've never had an issue with freezing. They run between the joists, and are covered only with the code-required R19 insulation. The house is only 2 years old (built it ourselves) and the basement is dry and without air leaks. My gas backup furnace and some ductwork are down there.
md2lgyk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:01 AM   #7

I have two main air duct trunks running underneath the crawl space as well so this may help with keeping it a decent temp. I live in south Central kansas, it may get a little colder here than in WV. Will the air duct trunks in the crawl space keep them from freezing if I insulate them big time?
Old 09-02-2011, 09:51 AM   #8

My wife is a native of Kansas and we used to live there (Salina area) so I can attest that your winters are more than a "little colder" than here in WV. I can't say the air ducts would be enough to prevent freezing. I think you should probably go with heat tape. It isn't expensive. If you get the kind that is thermostat controlled, you won't use a lot of electricity.
md2lgyk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:06 AM   #9

Great! Thank you! I have a lot of family in Brookville!
Old 09-04-2011, 10:48 AM   #10

The black tube insulation sucks you should use mineral fiber with a jacket around it. It will insulate to a lower temperature than the black rubber stuff. If I had two main ducts down there and the place was pretty tight I would just stick a digital thermometer down near the pipes to see what temperature extremes there are. Of course the readout from the sensor would be upstairs.

COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote