DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Water line for new refrigerator?

32K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  shellybellyb 
#1 ·
Hello everyone.

I need to run a water line for this new refrigerator with ice maker. My wife wants water & ice in the door.

My problem is there is no water on the wall with the refrigerator & house sits on a slab. So need to run up inside the wall into the attic, then down the inside of the wall behind the refrigerator. From cold water off washer (about 30 feet) or kitchen sink (about 20 feet) give or take. Then from the wall behind the refrigerator to the refrigerator itself.

Can I use 1/4" copper tubing for the run to the wall and to the refrigerator?

Or do I need to run 3/8" - 1/2" to the wall & 1/4" to the refrigerator?

I really don't want to solder if I can get away with it. Don't have the tools & hate asking to borrow tools.

What shut off valves should I use?
How should I tap into the cold water line? Not sure about those self tapping valves.

Looking for the easy way, but also less likely to leak.

Thanks for your time.

Paul

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
Sorry should have told you I was in So. California so no chance it will freeze.

Thanks for the heads up on the self tapping valves.

After looking everything over I might try to run off the cold water line that was going to my hot water heater. Not sure why they capped it off & run the other pipe up into the attic, but the one they had capped does have cold water. I took the union off & turned the water back on to see if it was live & it was. By going from here somewhere would save me a lot of BS trying to run tube inside the wall to attic.

Do you think tapping in the line before the hot water heater would cause problems?

Paul

Attachments

#6 ·
ok, so, I used the self tapping water line (I know this thread says I shouldnt) but already did it....tapped into the cold water line for the washer. Ran the line from the washer thru the wall to the fridge. There is water, but very very low pressure. The ice trays only fill a little. THEN, when the washer runs....it stops at the rinse cycle now. Won't go further....any thoughts?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.