Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-16-2010, 11:45 AM   #1

Share |

Water line to fridge question.

I had my plumber put in a water line to run to my fridge. No plumbers in my town use copper any more and that is good in my opinion as copper is not as good as pex. Anyway the man coming to install my fridge says that I need to run copper tubing from the shut off valve to my fridge and my plumber says it is not so. What do people agree with on this matter?

ingeborgdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 01:39 PM   #2
HVAC / Plumbing

you should be able to run what you want. It's your fridge...But, If the person connectiong the ice maker wants copper you may have to run copper or connect it yourself.....I like Copper better than pex.

kenmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 01:43 PM   #3

Why do you like copper better?
Old 11-16-2010, 01:45 PM   #4
Handyman

The guy installing your fridge is an idiot. I never run copper anymore as it has a greater tendency to kink. The clear tube, or PEX, is the way to go. Maybe he is just unsure of how to connect it...it is a little different than copper.

Last edited by canadaclub; 11-16-2010 at 02:03 PM. Reason: I should clarify...by copper vs PEX, I meant for fridge supply lines
canadaclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 01:58 PM   #5

I can't find a plumber around anymore that uses copper for anything. Pex is the only thing they use.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:01 PM   #6
Handyman

I still prefer copper for some situations...toilet and sink shut offs for example. They are just easier to secure. Can't tell you how many times I have gone under a kitchen sink and seen PEX fittings just flapping about lol
canadaclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 03:40 PM   #7

Well, I don't necessarily consider myself an idiot, at least not every day, but copper has served me well for many years, so I still use it, for no more reason than that; for a 'fridge, you just need to be a bit more careful of how you unwind and place it. On the other hand, I have nothing against the alternatives.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 05:02 PM   #8

Copper, copper, copper
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 06:30 PM   #9

you should be able to purchase a 10' braided supply for your fridge from a big box store, other wise I would use the copper versus plastic supply.

the price has alot to do with the installation of copper, pros use copper, it is superior to pex, more durable and less restrictive are the top on my mind other than it just looks like crap.
Ltnicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 07:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltnicks View Post
you should be able to purchase a 10' braided supply for your fridge from a big box store, other wise I would use the copper versus plastic supply.

the price has alot to do with the installation of copper, pros use copper, it is superior to pex, more durable and less restrictive are the top on my mind other than it just looks like crap.
+1
Get the braided hose or soft copper. You don't use pex between the valve and refer. In fact, you don't leave pex exposed to UV rays either.
TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 09:28 PM   #11

Where can I see some braided line? What size does it come in? How does it fit into the the back of the fridge and the main line?
Old 11-16-2010, 09:37 PM   #12

check at HD or Lowe's, etc. your shut off valve is either 1/4 or 3/8" the fridge will be 1/4" You'll probably get 1/4 x 1/4" hose 5' long
Attached Images

TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 09:53 PM   #13

I just don't know how they will attach it to the main line. What can they attach to the pex to make it able to attach to it? It looks like it is set to as pvc or plastic or pex a line like that. I will check with the plumber.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:35 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingeborgdot View Post
I just don't know how they will attach it to the main line. What can they attach to the pex to make it able to attach to it? It looks like it is set to as pvc or plastic or pex a line like that. I will check with the plumber.
Inge,
When I have my plumber buddy come in on my kitchen jobs, any pex he might use in a wall gets terminated with a copper stub about 6" long. It has a copper brace on it for fastening to studs. It's a piece made for adapting pex to copper. In the case of an icemaker line, he would put a chrome shutoff on the copper that has a 1/4" outlet on it. Then we use the ss braided line like the one shown above. Depending on how far the refridge has to be moved to clean, you can get different lengths at your local home depot or lowes.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 06:29 AM   #15

One of the important issues with copper is to use a whole roll 10' ? depends. Keep it rolled up like a slinky toy behind the fridge and secure it to the fridge and wall then when it's (the fridge) is rolled out for cleaning and servicing it just uncoils and coils back up when you return the fridge.

Most people install water lines much to short and cause many cleaning and service issues.

COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote