DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Water line to fridge question.

16K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  ingeborgdot 
#1 ·
I had my plumber put in a water line to run to my fridge. No plumbers in my town use copper any more and that is good in my opinion as copper is not as good as pex. Anyway the man coming to install my fridge says that I need to run copper tubing from the shut off valve to my fridge and my plumber says it is not so. What do people agree with on this matter?

#7 ·
Well, I don't necessarily consider myself an idiot, at least not every day, but copper has served me well for many years, so I still use it, for no more reason than that; for a 'fridge, you just need to be a bit more careful of how you unwind and place it. On the other hand, I have nothing against the alternatives.

#9 ·
you should be able to purchase a 10' braided supply for your fridge from a big box store, other wise I would use the copper versus plastic supply.

the price has alot to do with the installation of copper, pros use copper, it is superior to pex, more durable and less restrictive are the top on my mind other than it just looks like crap.

#14 ·
I just don't know how they will attach it to the main line. What can they attach to the pex to make it able to attach to it? It looks like it is set to as pvc or plastic or pex a line like that. I will check with the plumber.
Inge,
When I have my plumber buddy come in on my kitchen jobs, any pex he might use in a wall gets terminated with a copper stub about 6" long. It has a copper brace on it for fastening to studs. It's a piece made for adapting pex to copper. In the case of an icemaker line, he would put a chrome shutoff on the copper that has a 1/4" outlet on it. Then we use the ss braided line like the one shown above. Depending on how far the refridge has to be moved to clean, you can get different lengths at your local home depot or lowes.
Mike Hawkins:)

#15 ·
One of the important issues with copper is to use a whole roll 10' ? depends. Keep it rolled up like a slinky toy behind the fridge and secure it to the fridge and wall then when it's (the fridge) is rolled out for cleaning and servicing it just uncoils and coils back up when you return the fridge.

Most people install water lines much to short and cause many cleaning and service issues.

#16 ·
thank you for that coldiron,

my saying 10' is me regurgitating max length( in my code) for the supply. and as you say to secure it to the fridge and wall is a great point, the water supply to a fridge is a scary connection because you cant see it. when installed with hardwood floor, by the time you recognize a leak its a couple thousand dollars to late.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.